• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

supplements for a hormonal macaw

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
My friend has a b/g macaw who is becoming hormonal. We have read the articles which are very good. I thought I had read in a thread long ago that there is a natural supplement that helps with hormonal birds. Is there such a thing?
thank you.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Harrison's used to have a product called "Releaves", and Avitech has some products that may help.

I would suggest finding out the cause of the hormonal behavior and trying to change that. Is it the diet? The amount of sleep she gets? The quality of light? Something in the environment? The way she's being handled or petted?

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
@Macawnutz The hormonal issue is behavior, screaming, cage territorial, insistence on being near my friend, charging anyone who isn't my friend-and no one can be near her when she handles him. the vet said this weekend that he of hormonal age (approx 18, she has had him for 6 years)She has read the articles and is attentive to diet, light, and how she handles him. She had been giving him warm mushy food and now is not as an example. He gets a good 12 hours of dark and sleep per night. His screaming is inadvertently reinforced due to frustration, but they are working on being more consistent. He is also in a heavy molt so she is doing the aloe vera spray (I think that one--it is sold by avitech). was wondering if in addition to the revised interventions they are using if there is a dietary supplement that could help. @Monica I will point her toward the avitech page for supplements. He is a beautiful bird that scares the bejesus out of me due to his bluffing:too big of a beak for me:) . He knows I am afraid and uses that...my friend is not afraid of him and has a good response when he charges her, and when he gets over excited she puts him in time out (removes attention he was striving for).

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
this is just my 2 cents add at least another hour's worth of sleep to the bedtime routine.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
...insistence on being near my friend, charging anyone who isn't my friend-and no one can be near her when she handles him.

This part just sounds like an adult macaw to me. Maybe a bit of adaptation from the humans too?

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
thank you for all the replies. the screaming was almost constant, it is way down, not far enough yet. but progress. and we know screaming is part of owning a macaw, it was so excessive. The links and advice were helpful. thank you again.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Fingers always seemed to make mine happy. I of course missed them. :wacky: