• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Supplement for feather health?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I saw somewhere on another forum someone posted before and after pictures of their birds on a certain supplement it made a huge difference in the feathers, they looked much brighter and fuller after.

But I can't remember the supplement name.

Does anyone know of something like this?

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
was the bird a cockatoo?

I used VitaKraft Pro Feeda on one that was given to me that the cage mate plucked practically bald( it really did look like a Chicken ready to be cooked) within a few months feathers started growing back , several months later when he went to his new home he was almost completely feathered again

I have pics of before and after of Charlie - I'll dig them out and post them

Here they are took me a few to find them

When we got them

then after a few months of being on it

getting peach fuzz on a once bare back

fuzz n pin feathers on his face

starting to get some more feathers on his belly

A Couple weeks before he went to his new home

Last edited:

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
No not a cockatoo but I forget what species. I just know the difference in even COLOR was so dramatic, like greens much more vibrant, greener, brighter etc.

My birds are all babies and have some stress bars from when they came to me I would like to supplement so the new ones will grow back nice and healthy looking.:D

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Any supplement that makes a difference will do though.
Something with results.

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Do you think it was either one of these. I have heard good things about both, but have not tried either. Would love to hear from people who have.

Sunshine Factor
Nekton Bio

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I have no idea if it was either of those.

The bird I am talking about wasn't plucked at all, just "regular looking"
maybe a few ratty tail feathers etc. But then when supplemented the bird just SHINED! It's hard to explain the difference seeing as I say the bird was "regular looking" but really the results were dramatic and if I remember right I saw a few different birds before and after pics. And results were the same

Cory

Real Name
Cory
It could definitely be sunshine factor! That's what my avian veterinarian recommended to me for my flock. Many of my birds have come to me malnourished and the sunshine factor is supposed to improve their skin and feather quality! :)

I only started using it recently but I'm sure it helps because my vet is very knowledgeable and experienced! :)

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Hagen Prime is another supplement I've heard excellent things about, I just got some about a week ago, so too soon to know.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The supplement you are thinking of is Red Palm Oil which is what Sunshine factor is. That is Harrison's brand name for it. "Prime" is more of an overall supplement because it is thought to be a "complete" supplement with Amino Acids and synergistic doses of vitamins that work together in proper amounts. RPO is directed at feather and skin health.

Prime Documentation.

Prime Documentation (Soft food powder)

Last edited:

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
The best 'supplement' for truly great feathers, is a truly great diet consisting of a variety of high quality pellets, freshly sprouted seeds & legumes, fresh veggies, fresh fruit, sweet potato, Red Palm Oil, etc.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Yes yes yes! It was hagen prime!

I went back and found it actually. The before/after pictures are down unfortunately because I wish I could take another look.
The person did comment using red palm oil AND prime, but boasted the effects of PRIME used in moderation..

I will get both when I can, Thanks guys!

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I saw somewhere on another forum someone posted before and after pictures of their birds on a certain supplement it made a huge difference in the feathers, they looked much brighter and fuller after.

But I can't remember the supplement name.

Does anyone know of something like this?
Red Palm Oil might be a good place to start.
Alternatively, you may want to start using some good quality organic coconut oil. Melt some and use in birdbreads....or spread it while it's a solid, on grain toast.
Our birds eat it from a spoon...just a scant 1/8 tsp. once/week.

Coconut oil is an excellent source of beta carotene, and will make feathers shine! Great for skin as well.

Doris

Cory

Real Name
Cory
I thought that coconut oil wasn't healthy because it supposely has a high level of saturated fats.:rolleyes: Am I wrong?

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
Great information everyone! Cory from what I have read coconut oil has mostly medium chain fatty acids which are supposedly broken down differently during digestion. I think its a healthier choice then a lot of things especially in baking (which I use it for), but as Doris indicated should not be overdone.

Cory

Real Name
Cory
Great information everyone! Cory from what I have read coconut oil has mostly medium chain fatty acids which are supposedly broken down differently during digestion. I think its a healthier choice then a lot of things especially in baking (which I use it for), but as Doris indicated should not be overdone.
Thanks for the information! :)

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I thought that coconut oil wasn't healthy because it supposely has a high level of saturated fats.:rolleyes: Am I wrong?
You are correct that it is a saturated fat; however, it's a 'good' saturated fat because it's quickly dispersed into the body and not stored (which would lead to weight issues). The birds' body (and ours!) does not store this type of medium-chain fatty acid since it digests so quickly.
We (hubby and I) have used organic coconut oil for cooking, for years. Our birds have always had it in their diets. Mijo, our GW, will beg for it!! If he had his way, he'd get a teaspoon every day:)
Coconut oil also has some antibacterial and antifungal properties. We use it in several of our products.
It's a very healthy oil....we do use RPO at times, but prefer organic coconut oil.
Doris

Cory

Real Name
Cory
You are correct that it is a saturated fat; however, it's a 'good' saturated fat because it's quickly dispersed into the body and not stored (which would lead to weight issues). The birds' body (and ours!) does not store this type of medium-chain fatty acid since it digests so quickly.
We (hubby and I) have used organic coconut oil for cooking, for years. Our birds have always had it in their diets. Mijo, our GW, will beg for it!! If he had his way, he'd get a teaspoon every day:)
Coconut oil also has some antibacterial and antifungal properties. We use it in several of our products.
It's a very healthy oil....we do use RPO at times, but prefer organic coconut oil.
Doris
Thank you very much for clarifying that for me! :D I've read so much conflicting information about coconut oil and red palm oil. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.