• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

super paranoid about making my apartment safe. am i missing anything?

PrinceMonroe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Monroe
So Cora comes home in November, and I’m super paranoid about making my apartment safe for her, mostly in terms of fumes and being too cold. Here’s what I’ve done so far:

emailed the oven, microwave, electric blanket, people to make sure the things I have are safe (I don’t have a hair dryer or straightener or similar things bc my hair is short)
-I have bird safe cookware and clean mostly with vinegar
-I paint and make pins and I’ve made sure nothing in my apartment has a strong smell or fumes (I own rats as well and their lungs are sensitive)
-I’ve bought a small bird safe space heater for my small (100sq ft, if that) bedroom to keep near her cage because my apartment is cold in the winter
-all the wires in my apartment are tucked away or have protectors on them.

I’m super paranoid about hazards and wanted to know if anybody else could think of something I was missing. Also, how warm should I keep my room? (where her cage is). She’s coming from California to Ohio and I don’t want it to be too cold for her.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Oil paints?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Acrylics and watercolors. I know Oil paints can be dangerous. I've never used them
That’s safe then! No candles or regular cleaning products. No nonstick. No febreeze.

KrisNPenelope

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristina
Sounds like you on the right track! Let me know if your electric blanket checks out ok I haven't been able to find one myself.

PrinceMonroe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Monroe
Sounds like you on the right track! Let me know if your electric blanket checks out ok I haven't been able to find one myself.
it does. It's from biddeford blankets if I'm remembering right. They told me none of their products contain any ptfe.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I know! Most of that I was already doing because strong smells will bother my rats.
Sounds like you’re well prepared for a bird then. Look up the food nono’s if you haven’t already

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Oh and make sure the rats can’t get to the bird. They are predators to prey.

PrinceMonroe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Monroe
Oh and make sure the rats can’t get to the bird. They are predators to prey.
Noted. My rats are very lazy and only really want to come out at all at night time. The bird will likely be asleep by then. The cages are on opposite sides of my room. My boys are big dumb dumbs but just to be safe I’ll definitely be keeping them apart.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Self cleaning ovens, do not use that feature

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
Candles, air fresheners, wax burners, waffle makers are nonstick I think, dry shampoo if used near them, I would imagine nail polish used around them or nail polish remover

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I truly have a great deal of respect for anyone that puts a birds safety above their own comfort level. So many freak accidents can happen. Make sure the cage and interior (toys) are safe. The little clips or hooks that we hang toys on can be a hazard. Its a good idea to give the cage a once over visually a couple times per day to check for any fibers, open hooks or sharp areas.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Rats and birds in the same room together scare me to death. Rats are very conniving and will kill a bird in a second.

PrinceMonroe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Monroe
Self cleaning ovens, do not use that feature
Yep! I actually recently ran my self clean on my oven because I knew I wouldn’t be able to use it again after she got here.

I truly have a great deal of respect for anyone that puts a birds safety above their own comfort level. So many freak accidents can happen. Make sure the cage and interior (toys) are safe. The little clips or hooks that we hang toys on can be a hazard. Its a good idea to give the cage a once over visually a couple times per day to check for any fibers, open hooks or sharp areas.
I’m super paranoid so I’ll definitely be doing that. Some of the toys I got for her are small and had little bells on them that I could crush with little effort so I removed the bells and put the toys on her stand so I would be able to watch her while she played with them.

Rats and birds in the same room together scare me to death. Rats are very conniving and will kill a bird in a second.
Don’t worry! They definitely won’t be out together and their cages aren’t next to each other. My boys mostly sleep all day long. They’re hitting being middle aged about now so they’re extra lazy. My landlord thought I only had one for the longest time because one of them only came out when he heard me open the treat bag (I have two). Their cage is escape proof and when they’re out they’re either on my bed or on my couch. I let them run around the floor once when I moved in and I think they were overwhelmed.

PrinceMonroe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Monroe
Also Cora (the grey) will go to bed about nine and that’s usually when the rodents emerge from their slumber to spend time with me. They’re very much lumps for most of the day. They’re neutered boys so they’re EXTRA lazy on top of that usual male rat laziness.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I take the ringers out of all bells. Safest bells are stainless steel.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
It sounds like you are definitely on the right track! Good on you for doing your research. I believe @Mizzely has a bird as well as rats, maybe she has some advice in that realm. I don't know about rats but I know that birds are highly inquisitive creatures so you'll have to be extra vigilant.