• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Super Interesting! Does your bird do this?

Loomish

Moving in
Real Name
Cody
So, I just recently bought my baby girl Athena at age 5mos, we bonded instantly (aside from the hand phobia) but the weirdest thing has been happening.

I have had night terrors since I was 9, where I will wake up sub consciously and yell or seem like I am in grave danger, I used to break things in this state not anymore, more panicked screams or talking.

Ever since I got Athena, every time I do this (4-5 times a month) Athena will jump from her cage onto me and wake me up, climb up my chest to my neck and wrap around and purr, melts my heart.

Does your bird do this sort of behavior when you are distressed?! Amazing how in tune these animals are!

Is very cool so i figured I would share! If you have any interesting behaviors, I would like to hear!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think parrots are very sensitive to our moods, feelings, etc. It's wonderful that Athena is so good at helping you. Just a warning though- is she loose while you sleep? We've had people have terrible accidents with their birds while they were sleeping with them/near them.....

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That is so sweet that she helps you! Like @sunnysmom mentioned, however, please make sure she is safe while you are sleeping. I love how perceptive and caring our pet birds can be. I'm glad you and Athena have such a close bond!

Niran Jay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Niran Jay
My birds live in a separate room, but when I'm in an angry, sad or stressed state my birds, who usually never let me pet them, will allow me to pick them up and pet their back and heads or anywhere else. They will cuddle up to me or sit with me quietly and sometimes do crazy things that make me laugh . Especially my finch lucky and my parakeet timmy. Athena sounds awesome btw

Last edited:

Loomish

Moving in
Real Name
Cody
I think parrots are very sensitive to our moods, feelings, etc. It's wonderful that Athena is so good at helping you. Just a warning though- is she loose while you sleep? We've had people have terrible accidents with their birds while they were sleeping with them/near them.....
Yes, I have a room fully proofed for her, she doesn't like to adventure just yet, but I am ready when she does, she is the opposite of what i have heard, when the lights are out, it's sleepy time for her, I am a very light sleeper, she can ruffle her feathers and I wake up, between that and the motion sensor, I make sure she is safe!