• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SUP!

Saffronic

Moving in
Real Name
Star
So hi! I'm new here, and I ran into this place by absolute accident because I was researching if a Tiel and a Lovebird could be friends or not since I am in the tentative market for a second birdie. And so I decided to join because why not, this seems like a very nice place with a lot of knowledge that I more than likely am lacking about birds-- Especially tiels since I adopted my boy last year and I'm still learning how to look after him.

But yes, name's Star. A lot of people call me Saff and I have always wanted a bird my whole life but just recently managed to get one. I made sure to do a lot of research before getting my first. I have a grey cockatiel named Teba (his nickname is Pato). He was adopted in September 6th, 2019 (I never got an official hatch day for him but he was an extremely baby baby when I got him, still made the raptor sounds when I was giving him millet the first few weeks. The breeder said he was about 3 months old so I guesstimated his hatchday to be 06/06/2019). Handfed, extremely sweet but he has a bit of a fussy mood. He loves spinach, arugula, pear, squash and good lord does he enjoy bread but I absolutely limit that for him. He has a spacious Preveu white cage that stays next to my bed. I usually just limit him to my bedroom since I share my home with my family and they have 2 dogs (German Shep named Candy and a Rat Terrier named Toby) and I have an old cat (her name is Kaida and she's about to be 16 years old). I trust Kaida and Candy, but not so much Toby. So for now, Teba just stays loose in my room.

We also raise yard chickens. All of them are extremely spoiled by my mom everyday with fresh veggies and cooked rice and fruits.

As for myself, I'm a grown woman that grew up in Brazil and now live in the Texan countryside. I work for the state as a clerk full time, and my hobbies are: drawing (art in general, I sketch a lot), writing (rps and fanfics), gaming (I have a switch, ps3, older consoles), witchcraft (occult stuff), documentaries and collecting. I'm like a small crow that really enjoys hoarding shiny little things if I can. I absolutely love the 90s Lisa Frank aesthetics too, so I'm very guilty of that. This is not including me wanting to own more birds in general aa.

Okay, as for things I'm hoping to understand more for Teba and my future birds:

- How to make proper chop for Teba.
- Get him used to bathing, or bathe with me when I'm in the shower.
- Harness/diaper training.
- Making better handmade toys for him.
- Questions about his quirks and reactions.
- Research how to introduce a new male sibling to Teba in the future.
- Why is he so obsessed with perching on my head...

I'm sure more questions will show up but ahah... I think I made this intro super long already. Anyway,

Nice to meet yall!!

PS: Have a cute piccu of my baby.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Hello and welcome, he is adorable!! Reminds me of my Corky that we had for eons..He was 28 years old when he passed so you have lots of years ahead of you to perfect his care, and your loving bond...

Again welcome!

Ciel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ciel
Welcome! Teba is super cute

For chops I usually mix lots of vegetables and fruits up at the beginning and kind of observe what they do and don’t like. You need to adjust to what they like the most, here is a list of food that’s safe and unsafe for them:

Every bird likes bathing differently. Lots of birds naturally bathe on their own, try a shallow sink etc. Others like to be mist sprayed, and some like to shower with you (which is a bit risky so be very careful and never let the water hit them directly!)

There are many videos on harness training you can find, my tip is to not rush things and don’t force anything

My cockatiel loves perching on my head too LOL, I think they just enjoy being on high surfaces :)

as for the male introducing: its never guaranteed for a bird to like another bird you’re getting so be prepared for that. they might not get along or turn into besties who knows.

Attachments

mak

:grpwelcome:
As far as I understand lovebirds do not mix well with other species. But let me tag @Zara who will know better.
Please be informed that we love pics. (hint, hint)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Star and Teba! :starshower1:

How to make proper chop for Teba.
Here is a fantastic link: My Chop "Recipe"

- Get him used to bathing, or bathe with me when I'm in the shower.
You could set up a perch (not under the water) and see how he feels about sitting on it. If he seems interested, let him step up on your hand then take him a little closer to the water. Move slowly, and if he seems scared, stop and put him back.

- Making better handmade toys for him.
Lots of ideas over on DIY Drive :)

- Research how to introduce a new male sibling to Teba in the future.
First, 4-6 weeks quarantine. Separate room, as far away as possible. Wash hands and change shirt between handling birds. Get the new bird vetted and checked for disease/illness. Then once quarantine is over, put the cages in the same room, opposite sides. As they seem interested move the cages closer, a little a day until they are side by side. You can allow the same flight time and see how they get on out in the room.

- Why is he so obsessed with perching on my head...
I think they like the height. Most birds enjoy it up there :rolleyes:

I have an old cat (her name is Kaida and she's about to be 16 years old). I trust Kaida
Never trust a cat. Even your old girlie, as lovely as she may be. Their saliva is toxic, and a simple scratch or nick could be fatal. This means it could be an accident or your cat was playing, so not always ¨attacks¨.

I was researching if a Tiel and a Lovebird could be friends or not since I am in the tentative market for a second birdie
What did you find out? Will you be going ahead with the lovebird? They could never be housed together, but may enjoys each others company in the same room.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
We had The same two cockatiels and one lovebird for the entire life of the lovie - 17 years. The lovie came to us as a baby so grew up with the tiels so we never had problems. Separate cages though but out together all the time and never any issues. May have been a fluke though.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month