• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sunshine Factor

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I looked into this because I noticed it mentioned on @Danita 's site for cooking Harrison's Birdy bread. I noticed she doesn't carry it @ the moment. I used to get Red Palm Oil from my old vet but haven't talked to the new one about it yet. What do ya'll use to cook into the birdy bread, oil wise? I did just buy Crisco coconut oil. Can it be a substitution? I'm nervous as I'm getting used to a brand new stove & my old one was probably from the 50-60's. I really want to order birdy bread from Danita but don't want to just wing it. Thoughts?

Thanks in Advance!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Harrison's no longer produces Sunshine Factor (which was merely Red Palm Oil with a little coconut oil). I do not recommend coconut oil, because it is high saturated fat, with no other nutritional value. You don't want your bird to be like Coco and Jasper with atherosclerosis do you?
Nutrition
  • 121 calories.
  • 0 g of protein.
  • 13.5 g of fat, of which 11.2 g is saturated.
  • 0 milligrams (mg) of cholesterol.

Red Palm oil can be sourced from many places. Many of us use Nutiva which is Orangutan friendly and pure.
Nutrient Composition
  • Calories: 114.
  • Fat: 14 grams.
  • Saturated fat: 7 grams.
  • Monounsaturated fat: 5 grams.
  • Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5 grams.
  • Vitamin E: 11% of the RDI
Saturated fat - bad. Mono and Poly saturated fats - good.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just bought the Crisco & wasn't happy about it when I did because of the high fat content. It did work well to heat a bit of broccoli up before adding egg to it. Can I use the Nutiva for that too? I don't want Buddy getting too much fat, as you know my concerns w/ his heart & vascular system. BTW, peanuts are not for him anymore all because of everything you have been writing about Aspergillosis. I want to ask you... I'm still giving Buddy other nuts but to a reduced amount, are there any others I should be concerned about w/ Aspergillosis?

I'm going to use the Nutiva after I it show's up from Wally world. Sorry, wrote same thing 2 times because I had to leave & come back. I don't want to end up making his fat content worse like the "Unnamed Vendor" food does cause MM (was) using coconut fat in most of her stuff (back in the day) when we were loosing birds left & right.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
RPO (red palm oil) is used throughout the world as a cooking oil and it is very heat stable - so use it. Some of the other oils you can use with out worrying about clogging up arteries are;
Olive Oil Nutrition Facts: What Do You Get out of 1 Tablespoon?
  • Calories: 119.
  • Protein: 0 grams (g)
  • Fat: 13.5g.
  • Saturated fat: 1.9g.
  • Monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA): 9.9g.
  • Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g.
  • Carbohydrate: 0g.
  • Fiber: 0g.
Nutrition Facts
Oil, cornOil, corn
Amount Per 1 tsp (4.5 g)1 tbsp (13.6 g)100 grams1 cup (218 g)1 tbsp (13.6 g)
Calories 122
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21%
Saturated fat 1.8 g9%
Polyunsaturated fat 7 g
Monounsaturated fat 3.8 g
Cholesterol 0 mg0%
Sodium 0 mg0%
Total Carbohydrate 0 g0%
Dietary fiber 0 g0%
Sugar 0 g
Protein 0 g0%
Vitamin A0%Vitamin C0%
Calcium0%Iron0%
Vitamin D0%Vitamin B-60%
Cobalamin0%Magnesium0%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

NUTS
Peanuts are so very dangerous because they are grown in the ground and that is where the aspergillosus is most thick. Aspergillosus is every where but warm damp dark areas is where it really flourishes. Peanuts are especially high in cholesteral and saturated fats. Brazils have been reported to have aspergillous fungus but so seldom it is not worth noting.

The best nuts for your bird are almond, pistachios, pine nuts and walnuts. In that order. Almonds in particular have the least fats and are very high in calcium.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Kroger grocery stores also sell the Nutiva RPO. I bought mine there for 7.49.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have Kroger or Costco. :(:arghh:

Walmart has the Nutiva for 10.50 ish for 2. I already have to put an order in tonight or tomorrow w/ them so I'll order it. I'll probably throw out the Coconut oil. Dang it! Wish I hadn't opened it last week!!!

@Hankmacaw

Thank you for all your help, You've been a little :angelic: that's been dropped into our lives! Thank you for taking the time for others to learn off yours & my posts for years & years to come here on AA!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You shouldn't talk about me like that - you are ruining my reputation. LOL

You don't need to throw your coconut oil away. You can use it for yourself and for putting on you skin - a lot of people do that.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmmm, I read about the popcorn but I rarely eat it. I think the fats may do me in. I assume you use it to replace the butter?

Lotion though what a good idea! I'm gonna have to try it, does it soak right similar to Veg, or Olive oil?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think it works way better then Olive oil on the skin.

I use a bit of oil when pooping the kernels. I don't add butter to my popcorn actually!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I think it works way better then Olive oil on the skin.

I use a bit of oil when pooping the kernels. I don't add butter to my popcorn actually!
ooo... goodness! I've never pooped a kernel. Wait... eh... I might have. :lol:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you both @Mizzely and @Mockinbirdiva for the giggle :roflmao:

I am curious....... How old does one have to be before toilet humour is not funny anymore?
As a mom to two boys, I think I'm at least duty bound to laugh at toilet humor for forever :rofl:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
"Duty bound!!!" :coffeescreen:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
BTW, Google or Walmart lied about the $ of the Nutiva. I'll have my S. Dad order it on Amazon as soon as I have another order put together (checked on their site).

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
BTW, Google or Walmart lied about the $ of the Nutiva. I'll have my S. Dad order it on Amazon as soon as I have another order put together (checked on their site).
You might google stores that carry it in your location.... or call any health and nutrition store around in your area.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you both @Mizzely and @Mockinbirdiva for the giggle :roflmao:

I am curious....... How old does one have to be before toilet humour is not funny anymore?
I'll be 64 this year... probably unlikely I will never cease to find it worthy of a giggle. However... it's not so funny when I get pooped on ( especially my head) or when Bob takes flight and does one of his flying walenda doodies that can stretch a couple feet... the flying bombadier!!!!!