• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sunrise, my orange winged amazon

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
Hi all!

I am so excited to share that our family welcomed Sunrise into our home and flock mid April.
My neighbour had him for two years however he screams and her and her boyfriend were arguing about him too much, so she was looking for a new home for him.
So, we literally rolled his cage down the street and welcomed him with opened arms!
He is a 30 year old plus orange winged amazon.
After bringing him home and spending time with him, I really noticed his grip was horrible. He screams when you ask if he wants to step up. I was suspecting arthritis in his feet. So when I took him to the vet to get him checked over, the vet confirmed this. He is now taking Metacam for this daily.

He has alot of issues with handling because of this but he is honestly the sweetest bird. He does scream but we are working on it. I'm very hopeful and optimistic that he will come through and learn new habits and skills!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Secret screams.

If there's a noise you like better, you can distract them. With Secret, I can do "bop, bop, bop . . . ." and she will try to mimic. I did that one because the grandkids can do that.

Hubby can whistle and sometimes that works.

Usually we stand up and leave the room. Secret wants company so that is our go to. When she's quiet or does a pleasant sound, we go back. Amazing how she changes to whistles after we are in the back of the house.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's just beautiful! I'm so glad you figured out that he was in pain and have been able to provide him with some relief. I hope he's feeling much, much better soon.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
What a beautiful Amazon. After awhile on the pain meds he will feel much better - my girl
GW had horrible arthritis. To the point where she had to have two toes amputated. Gabapintin was great for her and can be given along with an NSAID.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome! Your Amazon is beautiful!

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
What a beautiful Amazon. After awhile on the pain meds he will feel much better - my girl
GW had horrible arthritis. To the point where she had to have two toes amputated. Gabapintin was great for her and can be given along with an NSAID.
Oh dear, that does sound painful!

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
Aww, he's gorgeous!

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
Sunrise is beautiful! So glad you could take him :heart: