• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sunken eye in a chicken

Alle

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alle
My poor rooster was attacked by a dog and now he can’t open one of his eyes and it’s sunken in. And when I go to look at it there’s white clear stuff covering it but it can move and from what I’ve seen his actual eye seems ok. Is there a way to help him with that?
also he has a few bites in his comb and one deep enough that it exposes skull. Those have been medicated and the exposed skull has been covered. His leg scales on one leg have also been ripped off leaving under developed scales being exposed,his leg has also been covered

but I need help with his eye, he physically can’t open it.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sounds like it is infected. Unfortunately mammals have stuff in their saliva that can cause infections in birds; antibiotics are needed.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Aww poor little guy. Definitely contact your vet so they can examine him and give him the meds he needs.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
I have had this happen a couple of times due to predator attacks. Sometimes the eye is just so swelled up that they can't open it but it is intact other times it is gone. I owned a blind rooster for almost 12 years that lost his sight but he still lived an incredible life and was a favorite when he visited the Preschoolers every year. keep him safe, warm with water and food easily accessible. They are remarkably resilient animals. Give him time and make sure that the flies don't join him. I have used SWAT on chickens with success to keep the flies out. Cold compresses help but mainly he just needs time to heal. Make sure that he is separated from all the other chickens so they don't pick on him. A vet can maybe prescribe some pain meds and possibly an antibiotic. (even if you can't get an appointment maybe they can suggest something for pain). Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited: