• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun dance

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Sun dance, I got Him in November 2007 He came with 8 other cockatiels, But he was the worst of them all, He came from a so called Rescue (for dogs) The owner of the Rescue set them up in a very small cage, and gave them a nest box, and then at some time the day (or a few days) before I bought them, She Cut Sun Dance's Wing bone all the way off on just one side. I know it was done not long before I got him, because When I got him it was a very fresh wound, The bone stuck out and rubbed against his "arm pit" which in turn caused it to become raw and bleed as well, Every time Sun Dance would Move his wing bled. He couldn't even preen then fluff his feathers w/out breeding - Something that comes natural To all birdies - minus the bleeding of course

They stated they did this so he would not breed!!!, No this Disability did not stop him from breeding, what it did stop him from was living a full life, He CAN NOT FLY, He will NEVER FLY! The bone doesn't grow back!, he is scared to death of humans and hands, BUT will chirp his little heart out to us all day long as long as we keep a safe distance from him. When he tries to fly he Crashes like a brick :(. It took him over a year to just come out of the cage This picture is of the day he came out of the cage He is VERY proud of himself in this picture and WE were very proud of him as well. We always had ladders around to help him get around , It took about 6-8 months for the wounds to heal, before he could finally preen, shake his feathers, flap his wings etc. With out bleeding. Still to this day almost 3 years later he is still scared of our hands, and us humans. Even though We've been very nice and sweet to him. I have had him Perch on my Shoulder ONE TIME in this 2 1/2 yrs.. But He got scared and "flew" off - which in his world he fell off and crashed to the floor before I could catch him :( So I never tried again. I don't want him to get hurt because I'm being stubborn and want him to know we are nice people.

I am posting 2 pictures but ONLY one is my entry - The other is just to show where His bone is cut off (HOPE that is okay!, it's hard to imagine his bone being cut off just by reading, W/out the picture)

Sun Dance The very 1st time He came out of a cage Well over a year after I got him (I got him in 2007 the pic was taken in 2009)

this one shows where his wing bone is cut off at

Status
Not open for further replies.