• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun conures and screaming???

Status
Not open for further replies.

aparrotly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Catherine
If you've ever heard a blue jay or common starling scream, our nanday's scream is like that.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
If you've ever heard a blue jay or common starling scream, our nanday's scream is like that.
I have had a lot of people say Rowdy sounds like a crow, but Blue Jay might be more like it.

Oh, I also suggest you get another female, no matter which conure you choose to keep the "hormonal" peace.

Do you still have Paco?

Oh, Rowdy does often say funny things, often only once. She just flew over to Merlin's cage and said, "Help me out." I was like, help you with what? Me? Lol!

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Raised conures since back in '72. If you have noise concerns, a Nanday or a Sun is not for you! They can vary in noisiness of course and they can also teach your other birds to scream too!

Merlin

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Natalie
My Tiels are soooo much quieter with their day filled chattering, whistling and singing.

Yoda will scream the walls down if he is bored, knows we are home, if we just got home, is overly happy, wants us to play or wanting different food. He knows one ear piercing pitch unlike the Tiels- scream. He also talks and woofs which we are working on in place of his one 'scream'.

He has very quiet days too, but not as often as loud ones. And it is such a challenge thinking of ways to distract him from why he is screaming at any one time :o:

I wouldn't trade him for anything though, loud or not

Last edited:

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My sun is loud when he wants to be, but it is by no means constant. He doesn't scream all that much really. It's more like just a couple of times a day that he just let's loose and has a short burst of yelling, as if just for the sheer joy of being a bird. Not sure why, but his yelling has never bothered me at all, although it can be loud when he chooses to do it from my shoulder.

I can't recommend my sun highly enough, he is a great companion for me. But you can't get past the fact that (at least sometimes) he can be very loud. If you don't think you or your family can handle a parrot that is loud at least some of the tie (or more) then a sun may not be for you. Personally, I cannot imagine my life without my sun,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Even though we've had Nicky for more than 5 years, Hubby still says things like,"Don't let him scream," & "make him be quiet!" LOL LOL LOL! (Hubby really does know better than to say that.) Sun Conures can be really loud, & they CAN scream what seems like non-stop. He is the best watch-bird possible, though actually he's getting the concept of mailman down pat. If Nicky is out of his cage (which he is for about half the day, & all weekend,) he hardly screams at all. When he is in his cage (when I'm caring for children) I make sure he has a nice selection of food to pick through, & lots of stuff to chew. Every hour or so I stop by the cage to tell him what a good bird he is, & if he goes for a while w/out shouting, he gets an almond. If I leave the room, I tell him where I'm going, & either "Ill be right back" or "I'll be back in a minute." He's learned the meaning of these phrases, & doesn't contact call unless he thinks I've been gone too long. I just hate reading of so many Suns being given up because of their loudness. They're funny, loving & loyal, but they're LOUD, at least some of the time. Never had a Nanday, but I've heard they're every bit as loud as a Sun, & are a wonderful companion. Good luck in your final choice!

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
I have a Sun, 2 Crimson Bellies, a Green Cheek and a Fiery Shouldered. Kiwi (Sun) is loud and drives me up a wall most day (but I adore her :heart:). She screams when something scares her, when someone walks in the room, when something doesn't go her way, when the wind blows the wrong way (lol, not really by someways it feels like it). Then add to that 2 Crimson that she is bonded with that think that every time she screams, they have to scream :rolleyes: I can say that out of all of my Conures, Kiwi's scream is the worse because of the pitch. If it wasn't so high pitched, I wouldn't care. The GCC and FS scream but it's no where near the pitch of Kiwi. And I could handle the CBC's if they didn't try to out do A Sun scream!

All in all, if I didn't have a bird room that I can close the door, I more them likely wouldn't have a Sun.

mimisaur

Real Name
Bec
I gotta defend suns and nandays a little bit here… mine in particular scream nowhere near as bad/loud as people are making suns and nandays out to be.

I have both, and they are both very different in personality. Lola is a typical sun in some sense, she is silly, confident, bossy and playful/funny, but she is not a typical sun in that she doesn’t like cuddles, pets or scratches – she is pretty much no touchy, but likes to step up and just sit on your shoulder, groom or you just “be with you”. Mimi is a snugglebug and loves cuddles. She is funny, cute, friendly, playful and sweet. She is THE best bird I have ever owned… she is just the funniest, cutest and cuddliest little bird ever. I love nandays, they are amazing little birds and I don’t think their scream is that bad – Lola is actually louder.

I have found that sun and nanday conures all sound slightly different… some sound more high pitched then others, some have a more gravely scream, some scream 24/7, some hardly scream at all… It varies greatly from bird to bird. I find that suns and nandays in particular are very exaggerated when talked about… People make out like their screams make your ears bleed… They are not that bad. I’ve heard alexandrines, ekkies, greys, amazons, cockatoos, macaws, princess parrots and ringnecks makes sounds as loud and louder then suns and nandays. Everyone always talks about suns and nandays like all they do is scream… they don’t. Mine make a wide variety of beeps, toots, grunts, meeps, growls, whistles, laughs and raspberry sounds… just to name a few. The only time the “scream” is when we get up in the morning and when we get home from work. It only goes on for about 3-~5 minutes and rarely do they scream for no reason or just for fun. I know for a fact they don’t make a peep while we’re at work, too. I’ve set up videos, voice recordings and asked neighbours myself.

I have regularly seen people compare a sun or nanday to a large cockatoo or macaw… this is a terrible comparison and completely wrong, in my opinion. Having grown up with almost everyone second friend and family member owning pet cockatoo and having wild ones fly over my house – they have one of the loudest and ear grating screech there is, and they DO scream more often then some birds. There is noway that should ever be compared to a sun... I think people compare suns and nandays to cockatoos/macaws because they are bothered by the PITCH of an aratinga conure’s call, and think it's louder… they are definitely NOT louder then a large cockatoo or macaw… but their pitch can be and often is higher. Obviously, it’s not something everyone can handle. Everyone is going to have a different level of tolerance to things. I personally find a big, white cockatoo screaming the most annoying sound in the world, but it doesn’t bother some people.

mimisaur

Real Name
Bec
Plus, I’d like to add that I think their amazing personalties far out weight their high pitched flock calls. :)

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I have found that sun and nanday conures all sound slightly different… some sound more high pitched then others, some have a more gravely scream, some scream 24/7, some hardly scream at all… It varies greatly from bird to bird. I find that suns and nandays in particular are very exaggerated when talked about… People make out like their screams make your ears bleed… They are not that bad. I’ve heard alexandrines, ekkies, greys, amazons, cockatoos, macaws, princess parrots and ringnecks makes sounds as loud and louder then suns and nandays. Everyone always talks about suns and nandays like all they do is scream… they don’t. Mine make a wide variety of beeps, toots, grunts, meeps, growls, whistles, laughs and raspberry sounds… just to name a few. The only time the “scream” is when we get up in the morning and when we get home from work. It only goes on for about 3-~5 minutes and rarely do they scream for no reason or just for fun. I know for a fact they don’t make a peep while we’re at work, too. I’ve set up videos, voice recordings and asked neighbours myself.

I have regularly seen people compare a sun or nanday to a large cockatoo or macaw… this is a terrible comparison and completely wrong, in my opinion. Having grown up with almost everyone second friend and family member owning pet cockatoo and having wild ones fly over my house – they have one of the loudest and ear grating screech there is, and they DO scream more often then some birds. There is noway that should ever be compared to a sun... I think people compare suns and nandays to cockatoos/macaws because they are bothered by the PITCH of an aratinga conure’s call, and think it's louder… they are definitely NOT louder then a large cockatoo or macaw… but their pitch can be and often is higher. Obviously, it’s not something everyone can handle. Everyone is going to have a different level of tolerance to things. I personally find a big, white cockatoo screaming the most annoying sound in the world, but it doesn’t bother some people.
So true, Rebecca. A Too's scream is so much louder than a sun's. I love having Too's living free around me in the wild, but after hearing a Too let loose in the confines of a vet's waiting room, I know I couldn't tolerate living with a Too. A sun's call is nothing compared to that. Even if Tinga let's lose a scream on my shoulder next to my ear, it doesn't bother me too much. But same as each bird is different, so is each person and their tolerance for different levels and pitches of noises. I don't think my family could stand to have him scream while he's sitting on their shoulder, but also no-one complains about his general loudness or frequency of his calls. I'd say Tinga does scream for the sheer joy of being a bird (eg for fun) but its only for a few minute or so.

In general, I'd still say that before taking on a sun, make sure you are ok with the pitch of a sun's call, knowing that some call more or less often than others. Listen to lots of YouTubes of sun's and play them to your housemates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
It's going to come down to how noise sensitive are you and your family? I couldn't care less about bird noise for the most part. The only bird I have trouble with are also the white cockatoos (although I've never heard a black one). Their screaming can get on my nerves.

However, my ex husband couldn't handle the little chirps of my budgie. I even caught him throwing paper at the cage once. Obviously he should never have any kind of bird.

Suns and Nandays are nowhere near as loud as large macaws or cockatoos. However, they do tend to vocalize more often perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.