• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun conure vs Parrotlet

bao123

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all! From your experiences, are parrotlets or sun conures better in terms of cuddliness, attention span during training and their general temperament? TIA! :)

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
From what I’ve heard/read, conures are more cuddly - but also WAY louder.

Parrotlets are less snuggly, but will snuggle once they’re comfortable, but also do better in pairs than a single.

I haven’t read/heard much regarding training comparisons between the two, but if I had to hazard a guess (based on absolutely nothing concrete) I would think conures are easier to train. But again, that’s based on nothing but my own thought lol.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to the forum.

Parrotlets are fiercely independent. They want scritches for very short moments and not every day. Don't believe what the internet claims that they are "pocket parrots". A happy parrotlet will gladly entertain themselves with chew toys, foraging toys and the like.

Parrotlets are pretty quiet in comparison to a conure. They can get chatty and sometimes loud, but their voices don't carry far.

In terms of trainability, I think it depends on what you mean. Training should include life enhancing goals. Encouraging a bird to forage for food or acclimating them to husbandry tools, such as a scale. Giving them time to fly safely in your home. If you mean tricks, I would be very careful with expecting this to be a primary goal. The reality is you will work on tricks for short periods of time daily. It is far more important for your birds to thrive even when your life gets busy. They need enrichment everyday.

I have two parrotlets. I adore them. If you do decide a parrotlet is a better fit for you. We can get into more details on their housing and care. I don't have first hand experience with conures.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think really the 2 differences are the obvious ones- size and noise. Suns can be insanely loud. Have you listened to any YouTube videos of them screaming? I would start there. Some people can't handle the noise. Then of course size. Have you looked at appropriate caging for both? I think with any species you can't just assume a bird will be cuddley or not. It's really the individual bird. I fostered a parrotlet who loved to climb on me but didn't want scritches. My friend has a parrotlet that likes to snuggle. You just can't really assume a bird will be a certain way because others are .

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
If you're not put off much by the noise, I would recommend the Sun.