• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun conure training

Jetdrip459

Moving in
Hello everyone! I need some help, so I have a sun conure named dipper Iv had him about a year and 5 months. Iv done training with him and he’s very smart and is actually pretty quite Iv noticed for a sun conure. So here’s my issue, lately he’s picking up things that kinda annoy me and him. When I first got him I tried putting him in a wing suit, not very smart on my part, so now he hates being picked up but dosnt mind stepping up. Another problem I have is he has started to scream more when I get home like a lot Iv waiting to walk in the door for him to calm down. Done this for a month now no improvement, Iv also walked out of the room when he dose it. He’s a good boy and I love him to death and believe me I knew when I got him he would be loud which is fine I would deal with the loudness for ever as long as he is happy but I also know he can calm down the loudness and would like some help. I would also really like some help on grabbing him because spring and summer is coming up and I would like to put him in a flight suit to take with me pretty much every where. Also he hates when I touch his head anyone got any reason why that is.

Ps sorry for spelling and grammar not my strong suit.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:bump7:

Zettobi

Meeting neighbors
Our sunny was like yours with the fear of being grabbed but not a fear of hands. My hand could be 50cm away and she would freak out if it was anywhere behind her (because she thought we were gonna grab her from that angle), now we can wrap our hands around her without worry, here's what we (my boyfriend and I) did:

1. Dedicate training time to teaching touch commands like grabbing/holding. We also taught her to allow us to lift her wings and her feet (both of which she used to hate us touching).

2. Go slowly and know your bird's limit, when do they start freaking out about being grabbed? Don't let it reach that point, slowly push your boundaries on their terms.

3. Slowly lift your hand to their comfortable/safe distance. Reward for calm behaviour. Remove hand. Do this several times so that they know what's happening.

4. Move slightly closer. Sunburst would show slight fear and be staring at it and leaning away a little. Wait until calm behaviour is shown then reward. Repeat until no fear is shown at all upon showing your hand then move closer.

5. Continue in small steps until you have touch your bird without them being fearful. Then repeat the same process for grabbing/holding. Gradually increase how much your hand is covering their body and pressure applied.

Do not rush, it can take a long time or a short time depending on the bird. Hopefully I explained okay, and good luck!

Jetdrip459

Moving in
Our sunny was like yours with the fear of being grabbed but not a fear of hands. My hand could be 50cm away and she would freak out if it was anywhere behind her (because she thought we were gonna grab her from that angle), now we can wrap our hands around her without worry, here's what we (my boyfriend and I) did:

1. Dedicate training time to teaching touch commands like grabbing/holding. We also taught her to allow us to lift her wings and her feet (both of which she used to hate us touching).

2. Go slowly and know your bird's limit, when do they start freaking out about being grabbed? Don't let it reach that point, slowly push your boundaries on their terms.

3. Slowly lift your hand to their comfortable/safe distance. Reward for calm behaviour. Remove hand. Do this several times so that they know what's happening.

4. Move slightly closer. Sunburst would show slight fear and be staring at it and leaning away a little. Wait until calm behaviour is shown then reward. Repeat until no fear is shown at all upon showing your hand then move closer.

5. Continue in small steps until you have touch your bird without them being fearful. Then repeat the same process for grabbing/holding. Gradually increase how much your hand is covering their body and pressure applied.

Do not rush, it can take a long time or a short time depending on the bird. Hopefully I explained okay, and good luck!
Thank you for the reply how do you make your sunny quiter

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Another problem I have is he has started to scream more when I get home like a lot Iv waiting to walk in the door for him to calm down.
Could he be flock calling? Have you tried developing a call or a whistle to reassure him? Maybe going straight to him and talking with him, take your coat off first but at least let him know ASAP that it's you and you're not going to leave him again.
Iv also walked out of the room when he dose it
Does it get worse when you leave? Is there something in the room or something happening that's bothering him? Is his cage in a place where he can see where you're going?

He definitely misses you when you go out. If the house is empty do you leave a radio or TV on for him?

Zettobi

Meeting neighbors
Our sunny is loud when I walk through the door but she quiets down once she sees us. She knows she has to be hush before I let her out of the cage. He's just excited your home so I believe it's good to make your presence known and then wait for quiet. Sunburst quiets down either when we whistle back at her, or if she can see us (we have our back turned to her when we walk into the room if she's screaming) then wait for a few minutes of non-screaming noise before opening the cage door.