• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

egg

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
me
I'd like to start this thread by saying my sunny is a sweet girl who gets along well with her owner (me) and the other member in the household, and will happily relax with home visitors as long as she is with her owner.

I feed her well, she has plenty of toys, and a nice, large cage with room, and play with her for a minimum of an hour daily.

However, I can't get past her screaming. As a conure owner, don't worry, I'm aware that this is common for this noisy breed and inevitable :laugh:. I've done research on how to train her, I've read and watched multiple videos saying:
-give her a treat/take her out of the cage when she is quiet
-ignore her when she is screaming, scolding is rewarding
-check food bowls, water bowl, just in case she is simply asking for a refill

but I seem to have one, tiny problem. So here is my situation, when she is screaming I do exactly what the videos and training guides tell me to do, to ignore her when she is being excessive. BUT, once she's calmed down and remained quiet for a bit, the minute I approach the cage, she'll get really excited and scream again!! Twice as loud as earlier! I can't reward that!!

This happens ALL the time, and I have to take her out eventually because she needs it, even if she is screaming!! I know this is such a small problem in training, but I'm not really sure what to do if she screams when I approach her cage!

Here's an image of her, just because I have the option to upload it :)
IMG_4397.JPG