• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun Conure Roll Call

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
These two joined our home (personal zoo) today. The female is a little unhappy with me right now. I took them to get their nails trimmed, and while doing it we discovered the female had a band on her leg, but it was above the joint where it should be and halfway up her leg buried in the feathers. You couldn't tell because she wasn't favoring either leg and her toes weren't swollen at all. There was no way to get it back down where it belonged, so they took the ring off. She was calm during the whole thing, so I hope she understood we were helping her. Now she's resting with her guy beside her. I'm going to give them a few days to settle in and then see if I can work with them some. They were raised inside, so I'm not taking the chance on putting them out right now. The weather here in Phoenix has been freaky. It was 105 yesterday and it was 73 and windy today. Too much stress on me, can't imagine what it would do to them.

Attachments

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Here are my 3 little buggers. Apollo (dad, left), Chloe (baby, center) and Lily (mom, Left). I am lucky that for the most part they are well behaved lol... I take them to the local bird store every weekend and they get a lot of human interaction, and allow most adults to pick them up. They aren't biters at all, just a bit skittish around new humans.

Baby Chloe when I had to take her to work to handfeed.

Apollo and Lily when I first got them 4 years ago. They were 7 weeks old.

kiitick

Moving in
Real Name
Matt
I've already posted in the welcome, but I'll put my little guy up here. We changed his name, as he responds much better to Zwei than he ever did Yang. So here's a picture of Zwei. I think he looks a bit like a Jenday, but my vet says he's definitely a SC, just a baby. I believe he's 10 weeks old.
IMG_20170605_154558.jpg

Kathy davis

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a sun conure that is 15, Paco. I'd like to get another, possibly a green cheek, but I worry that my bird might not be receptive. They would be in the same room, but he's pretty old and set in his ways. I worry about stressing him out. What do you think?

Lszumlic

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Leslie Szumlic
Hi! this is my 1st post, so I really don't know what I am doing! I will take the time to read all the info later.. but thought is would jump in & say HI! I have a 33 year old Sun Conure that I have had since March of 1984! He is getting old.. just in the last couple of months. He was doing great until I left for a week when my dad died.. & I'm concerned he will go down hill when I am gone again for a week in Sept. :'( He is my Sunshine! He still dances and acts so happy! ( not quite as much as 2 months ago! :() So anyone else have an old Sun?? He's probably like over 100 yrs. old if a person! :sun::heart: So I'll see how this works!

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
We have a HUGE flock at our house. I take care of my roommates 2 sun conures that he got in February. Being new to birds in general, I was wondering if you all could give me some ideas to stimulate and enrich Sunny and Mangos lives. Im' currently target training them, but they tend to lose intetest quickly. Any help with ways to stop biting would be helpful too. I do not react to bites, simply say "bad, be gentle", and when they stop, I say "good" and put them on the perch. They only bite harder if I roll my hand, or blow in their face......ugh.

Sunni's Mom

Meeting neighbors
I found that just like Sunni screeches when I do something she doesn't like I do the same then immediately put her in her cage and notice it has deterred her from doing the behavior I don't like from her

AviMom

Awwwww!! Absolutely precious! Congratulations.

AK89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ankitha
Rio and coco!!

Attachments

glowe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
Here's my darling Africa. I have had him only two weeks. He's about the months old. He is brand takes, was just learning to step up but he's not confident a still learning to trust me. He will hang out, let me touch him but he's not all in just yet. Any tips anyone? I don't want to do the wrong thing or lose him. There are some angels with colorful weddings on this list!

Attachments

AviMom

Best advice I have is let him set the pace. Don't rush, or push. Talk sweetly to him, give lots of treats, and enjoy him. He's a real cutie!!!

Ender Pixel

Moving in
This is Fawkes, my roughly 1 and a half year old sun conure! We got him Nov 2017 and haven't had him DNA tested yet

20180514_190815.jpg