• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun Conure or Green Cheek Conure or Quaker?

What parrot species?

• Sun Conure

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Green Cheek Conure

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Quaker Parrot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
I would love your help and opinions on which bird I should get! The three choices are Sun Conure, a GCC or a Quaker parrot. I am experienced and know everything about what a bird lover and owner should.

Setting : I live in a rather large house and have had a ringneck and I did not think that the ringneck was that much of a problem so noise would not be a factor. And neighbours had no issues either!

Personality : I want an outgoing , friendly , cuddly, and somewhat quiet bird that wont scream its head of all day (i know sun conures are loud but only scream at certain times of a day)

I have a large cage and toys to accompany the bird while l am gone, ( I still have school!) but the bird should be getting 4-6 hours of attention a day, if not more, especially on weekends. I am dedicated to caring for the bird for the rest of its life!

So throw ur opinions and replies at me to which bird would be the best bird FOR ME.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I want an outgoing , friendly , cuddly, and somewhat quiet bird that wont scream its head of all day
All four of those traits are never guaranteed with any bird.

You are better to compare by what you can offer. Do you have time, can you fullfill their needs (physically and mentally), and can you pay the costs associated (bird, cage, toys, vet + upkeep) etc. ?

I you can do that for all, then head on out and meet some birds, see which you click with :)

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
How much time have you spent listening to them? Not from ownership but from exposure volunteering at bird stores, the sun and quaker sounds hit a particular pitch that for me brings an instant migraine. But I’m not sure how fair my reaction is to either species, so I didn’t vote. They’re all amazing parrots and if their calls don’t bother you, I know some lovely Quaker and conure owners will definitely be here help you out!

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
I can meet all their needs but the problem is where I live, it is a big city but there are no parrot shelters, or any big bird stores to really get to hang out with them. There are petsmarts which usually only carry budgies :(
All four of those traits are never guaranteed with any bird.

You are better to compare by what you can offer. Do you have time, can you fullfill their needs (physically and mentally), and can you pay the costs associated (bird, cage, toys, vet + upkeep) etc. ?

I you can do that for all, then head on out and meet some birds, see which you click with :)
ou

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
How much time have you spent listening to them? Not from ownership but from exposure volunteering at bird stores, the sun and quaker sounds hit a particular pitch that for me brings an instant migraine. But I’m not sure how fair my reaction is to either species, so I didn’t vote. They’re all amazing parrots and if their calls don’t bother you, I know some lovely Quaker and conure owners will definitely be here help you out!
I have had a ringneck for almost a year and it does bother me from time to time but never to get me a migraine as I always do loud things like play music and other things. I do know they are all amazing parrot species but from what I have heard quakers tend to have higher tendencies to develop behavioral issues and are prone to plucking, cage aggression and etc.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Start here.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about Quaker Parrots | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Green Cheeked Conures | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

The good, the bad, and the ugly on sun conures | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Birds are so much individuals. My experiences with quakers are night and day different than other people on this forum, for example. My quaker Jingo eventually I had to rehome because he was screaming 8 to 10 hours a day, and would actively seek me out in the house to attack me. This was from a handfed baby I brought home at 3 months.

Cage size, time out, etc are only a small part of the equation. I have always given my birds large spacious cages, at least 6 hours a day out of the cage, more toys than they can play with, playstands, good food, etc.

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
I have already seen those links but your example of your quaker is what makes me a little iffy to go for a quaker opposed to a sun conure. Quakers tend to have way more behavioural issues than any other medium sized bird so it can make sense as to why your bird would seek you out for 6-8 hours a day. :( But thanks for your input this something I have never heard of but will keep in mind :)
Start here.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about Quaker Parrots | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Green Cheeked Conures | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

The good, the bad, and the ugly on sun conures | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Birds are so much individuals. My experiences with quakers are night and day different than other people on this forum, for example. My quaker Jingo eventually I had to rehome because he was screaming 8 to 10 hours a day, and would actively seek me out in the house to attack me. This was from a handfed baby I brought home at 3 months.

Cage size, time out, etc are only a small part of the equation. I have always given my birds large spacious cages, at least 6 hours a day out of the cage, more toys than they can play with, playstands, good food, etc.
[/QUOTE

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Best thing you can do is go out and meet them - I never would have predicted that a macaw would be my first bird, but it worked out. I wasn't even considering a Jenday before I met Tibs. Sunnies are usually rehomed because of the noise they make. Best thing you can do is go out and see who picks you!

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
Best thing you can do is go out and meet them - I never would have predicted that a macaw would be my first bird, but it worked out. I wasn't even considering a Jenday before I met Tibs. Sunnies are usually rehomed because of the noise they make. Best thing you can do is go out and see who picks you!
I completely understand but where could I possibly go to meet then because there arent many sun conure breeders around me but there are a lot of GCC breeders around me and I have had green cheek conures which were sweet little babies but had passed away because of an eye infection at the vet. There are also no bird shelters around here in toronto so I need help because i have no idea where to meet the bird anywhere other than at a breeder

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I completely understand but where could I possibly go to meet then because there arent many sun conure breeders around me but there are a lot of GCC breeders around me and I have had green cheek conures which were sweet little babies but had passed away because of an eye infection at the vet. There are also no bird shelters around here in toronto so I need help because i have no idea where to meet the bird anywhere other than at a breeder
Are there any nearby rescues that you can google? I googled it and came up with a few hits. Not sure if they're close enough but it's worth looking into unless you've already gone this route.
If anyone in the household is sensitive to noise, I'd say the Sunnie would be a no go. My Jenday doesn't bother me at all but, I can imagine why some people would find their shrill cries intolerable. Tibs has his cuddly moments, but he's very keen on play.
I am so sorry to hear about your baby who passed from an eye infection.

MeganC

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Well, my sun conure mostly meets the traits you want, but she is an individual and of course there are no guarantees that another of the species will as well. I can’t really say there are any particular times I have noticed my sun screaming. It is more like certain events: food being prepared, just arrived home, somebody in another room, sees something scary, etc. Unless you can meet the individual bird you are looking to buy in person, it is going to be hard to tell if it will the right fit for you.

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Just going by noise alone a Quaker or Sun Conure probably aren’t what you are looking for. GCC are a bit cuddlier, but it’s all a big gamble with a baby bird. If you are looking for specific traits then an adult is your best bet. You might have to travel a bit farther for a rescue, but then at least you will know the traits of that particular bird.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have already seen those links but your example of your quaker is what makes me a little iffy to go for a quaker opposed to a sun conure. Quakers tend to have way more behavioural issues than any other medium sized bird so it can make sense as to why your bird would seek you out for 6-8 hours a day. :( But thanks for your input this something I have never heard of but will keep in mind :)

Sun conures are definitely not little angels. I've had friends with them that also screamed for 6+ hours a day and were really aggressive

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes Chya the sun can make me loose my mind on occasion, when she wants in my shirt and I'm busy, she screams the entire time. I don't recommend a sun conure based on your posts. There is no guarantee they won't develop issues you'd have to work through. I know quakers can be fairly loud as well. I'd recommend an older green cheek from a rescue. Find one that is more laid back.