• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun Conure or Cockatiel?

luna.vv

Meeting neighbors
Hi,
I’m thinking of getting a new bird and i’m down to my two choices! I’m thinking about either a cockatiel or sun conures. I do like how cockatiels are very chill, but i also like how the conures are playful and energetic. So i’m not sure.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Ok. I don't think either of those are high dust birds, so a cockatiel could cause a threat (if housed in the same air space. If you can provide a different room for the tiel then your options are open, if not, then conure is better for you.I

It is up to you :)

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Suns can and will get VERY loud at times. If you want the playfulness of a quieter Conure may look at a Green Cheek. While not as "Flashy" that are handsome little guys and can be both very loving and playful. Here Cheddar my Lord and Master, a Cinnamon GCC. Yes he sweet and loves to play
Acarrotaday.jpg CrazyConure.jpg Alltailfeathers.jpg

luna.vv

Meeting neighbors
He’s so cute! I have thought about a Green Cheeks but I haven’t found any reputable breeders, but I will definitely keep looking! Thanks for the replies!:)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have a lovebird, two linnies, and a black capped conure and I find my conure to be considerably more demanding than my other birds, so definitely keep in mind if you are opposed to a possible "velcro bird." @DoubleTake has two suns.

luna.vv

Meeting neighbors
Are sunnies ok with a couple hours alone during the day when I’m at work?

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Conures are very social Velcro birds. They will be fine if you have a regular job but they will want to be near you when they know you are home. My suns are a little less demanding as they have each other but they would still like to be in line of sight of me. Still needy little birds.

clarousel

How's your hearing? :lol: I could never live with a sun conure, or any other aratinga.
My dad's sun conure sent my ears ringing with one scream :roflmao:

Whilst on shift at the cake shop, this lady came in with a green cheek on her shoulder. Something about their face/eyes make them look really inquisitive and cute!

luna.vv

Meeting neighbors
Ever thought of a Kakariki? Those are full of energy lol. Suns and cockatiels are so different I though I'd throw another one into the mix lol.
I’ve never thought about a Kakariki actually. I did use to have a tiel but she wasn’t very playful, so I’m thinking of getting a more playful bird this time!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I’ve never thought about a Kakariki actually. I did use to have a tiel but she wasn’t very playful, so I’m thinking of getting a more playful bird this time!
Love the noises they make when they are babies. Haven't been around them as adults though.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
He’s so cute! I have thought about a Green Cheeks but I haven’t found any reputable breeders, but I will definitely keep looking! Thanks for the replies!:)
Green cheeks come in a variety of mutations, too, and there are also pearly and painted and roseifrons conures that are quite stunning.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Green cheeks come in a variety of mutations, too, and there are also pearly and painted and roseifrons conures that are quite stunning.
My personal opinion is that green cheeks are the turds of the conure world lol. Little brats. I have met some nice ones though.

Last edited:

luna.vv

Meeting neighbors
I was just wondering, do sunnies get along with other bird like tiels or lovebirds? I’m thinking that I’ll get a sun conure then maybe in a few years a cockatiel or lovebird

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
If we are throwing about more suggestions....

What about a linnie? Mine loves to play with toys and hop around the room! Speaking from personsal experience, so others birds might be different.

luna.vv

Meeting neighbors
If we are throwing about more suggestions....

What about a linnie? Mine loves to play with toys and hop around the room! Speaking from personsal experience, so others birds might be different.
I don't think there are linnies in Australia... But I’ll have a look! :)

Reactions: Ali

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I don't think there are linnies in Australia... But I’ll have a look! :)
I had a quick look and found very little. There are some, but I don't think they're very common.