• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun conure help!!

Realgoneferby

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
My husband and I recently moved from Miami to Tampa and since the move our sun conure, Miko has been a NIGHTMARE!
I am aware that birds, especially sun conures are LOUD, he used to yell when we lived in a studio efficiency and I was used to the yelling... but since the move he has been totally different.
He used to come to me and step up on my finger, regardless of him being in or out of his cage... now when anyone come near him he backs away and yells. When my husband or myself are on the phone, he yells. When we come towards him he yells. When we walk away he yells. These are not normal "hey, come back" or "where's my flock" yells. These are I'm yelling just to yell because I can.

We have tried training him, we walk away from him when he yells, count 10 Mississippi's and come back, but as soon as he sees us, he yells, and we have to start over again. Nothing I read, or try to do works... he isn't responding to anything... I know moving is stressful, and change is not something birds enjoy... but I am really, really growing tired of his constant yelling. I love him! I really do, he is part of the family! I don't want to give him up because of something my husband and I are doing wrong... it's not fair to him or us...

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
Please don’t give him up :hug8: I think he’s stressed about the move, how long has it been since you moved?

Realgoneferby

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Fairly recent. About a month and a half ago... I know it's stress, it's not his fault. It's just the constant screaming for no reason gets to me. He does know that saying "what" and "step up" will get me closer to him, but when he is on a screaming fit I can't get him to calm down.

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Fairly recent. About a month and a half ago... I know it's stress, it's not his fault. It's just the constant screaming for no reason gets to me. He does know that saying "what" and "step up" will get me closer to him, but when he is on a screaming fit I can't get him to calm down.
I know this sounds weird but have you tried noise blocking head head phones? The kind builders use?

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Have you ignored him when he screams? If so, he may start thinking its a game. Also, as mentioned before, its stress and it can do all kinds of things. His mind can only comprehend one thing at any major event. It is so different now, new sites, new sounds, new patterns, everything is new. Just give him time., this is a time where you let him chill and dont ask anything of him right now.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've found usually when a conure screams something is wrong and he doesn't like it. Are any of his toys missing? Is anything in the cage in the wrong place? Are the walls a different colour? Strange sounds?
Something is making him uncomfortable/unsure, even the smallest thing that we'll easily miss.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I was wondering if he maybe doesn’t feel safe or comfortable where he has been positioned? Have you tried moving his cage to another area or room and seeing how he is?

We recently moved and in one room my bird seems to scream every five seconds for the whole day but in another room he happily plays on his own and only calls out now and again for reassurance that I’m still here or to let me know he’s hungry for fresh food, ...it’s mostly when the shadow of the massive birds of prey can be seen through the window in his room though that he seems to scream the most in the other room that he seems more content in.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Farlie will SCREAM if he wants clean water. Or if he wants his food refilled. Or is an itty bitty tiny weeny spider crawling anywhere on any wall or ceiling? Or any bug for that matter?

Realgoneferby

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you everyone! It's so nice to know that my situation isn't the only one.
@BirdsForever I have not tried noise cancelling headphones, I'm REALLY, REALLY contemplating getting them though :dead: ..... The issue I see with that is that it doesn't train him to be quieter, it's just a way to cope with the noise
@greys4u I have been ignoring him until he's quiet for 10-15 seconds OR says what. I have been reading that when he yells don't give him attention since it only reinforces the bad behavior. Wait for the correct behavior and then enforce that... but I don't think I'm doing it right. However, it has only been a month since the training... unless I've been misinformed, which is very possible... it is the internet :bored:
@Ripshod @Shezbug we just moved to a 2 bedroom house from a studio efficiency... everything is bigger and new, and the neighborhood is MUCH quieter than our previous one. So he isn't used to anything and is really stressing about everything. Which is expected but doesn't help the situation :dead::shifty:

I just feel so bad for him! And I DON'T want to give him up, I love him! He's family and it's not fair for him. Sorry for the long reply :hug8:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Realgoneferby ssoooo you have been reading Dr. Internet.....:hehe:
In all seriousness, you will do fine, its a learning process for both of you and you have alot going on. Sometime when you have a break, if he's in his cage, why not read to him softly. Just pull up a chair beside his cage and just read. Or when you walk by his cage drop a treat in his bowl. Please go to our forums, there is alot of good info there.

Last edited:

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
I know head phones don’t help with training but he’s a sun conure so it would probably help your ear drums!

Realgoneferby

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
@greys4u lol Dr. Google has tried to help me, which is why I came back to this forum. By far some of the most helpful and knowledgeable people and advice!
@BirdsForever you aren't kidding! I know there are louder birds in the world, but suns are so high pitched in their yells that it sounds louder than it is! Since having him in my life, I feel that my hearing has definitely worsened... but that could just be me getting old lol ;) I went on Amazon and bought a pair of concert headphones, so that will help when he starts up with one of his fits.

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
@greys4u lol Dr. Google has tried to help me, which is why I came back to this forum. By far some of the most helpful and knowledgeable people and advice!
@BirdsForever you aren't kidding! I know there are louder birds in the world, but suns are so high pitched in their yells that it sounds louder than it is! Since having him in my life, I feel that my hearing has definitely worsened... but that could just be me getting old lol ;) I went on Amazon and bought a pair of concert headphones, so that will help when he starts up with one of his fits
:lol:

Elizabeth0702

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth Tollis
I remember when we moved a few years ago we kept the birds half-covered for almost the full first month so they only had to get used to half of their new view at a time. You mentioned that you moved to a quieter area and that could be a source of stress in and of itself. Quiet in the jungle doesn't happen unless things aren't safe. Maybe try having some music or background noise playing near him to keep away the silence?
Just a thought. Make him feel safe.