• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun Conure...dancing?

Alecine360

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alexandria Wallis
I really hope this is the right place to post this, my sun conure is 11 months old and has just been showing this behavior. She did it once before and I thought it was just her being silly, but she’s doing it today and I’m a little worried it might be a sign of a problem.

It’s...hard to explain. I’m going to try to attach a video of it. She bobs her head, but not in a normal conure way. She shakes it around and waves her body, slightly flapping her wings as well. She only does it for seconds at a time. Nothing triggered it that I know of, she was doing it in my face earlier and is now perched on my leg doing it every few minutes.

Shes eating and behaving normally otherwise which is why I haven’t called the vet. I plan to bring it up at her next checkup but I was interested if any other owners online know what this is or could be a sign of.

thanks for any help!

edit: I can’t post videos but I’m going to upload a clip to YouTube and put a link here

edit 2:here’s the links, theyre only a few seconds long. The second really shows it well, please watch if you can.

Last edited:

Zettobi

Meeting neighbors
She's regurgitating for you! In other words she is trying to feed you and is a sign of affection. However, try not to encourage this behaviour as once she reaches sexual maturity it can make her frustrated.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Does it seem like she is in control or doing it involuntarily? To me it looks a little too frantic to be simply regurgitating, perhaps she has something caught in her throat/crop?

Alecine360

Real Name
Alexandria Wallis
Does it seem like she is in control or doing it involuntarily? To me it looks a little too frantic to be simply regurgitating, perhaps she has something caught in her throat/crop?
I thought this too! If I respond to her she’ll stop, same if I give her scratches on her head. This tells me she is able to stop, and she doesn’t do it again until maybe about three minutes later. Today she only did about 5 bouts before stopping entirely and she just chilled out with me. I agree it seems really frantic, that’s what makes me a little worried

Alecine360

Real Name
Alexandria Wallis
She's regurgitating for you! In other words she is trying to feed you and is a sign of affection. However, try not to encourage this behaviour as once she reaches sexual maturity it can make her frustrated.
okay! I’ve definitely been encouraging the behavior as I’ve been trying to figure out what the heck she’s doing. This has been the only sexual behavior she’s displayed luckily, I’ve had other parrots in the past and I’ve never had an experience with regurgitation. She’s so young and my first parrot I’ve had on my own so I’m such a worrywart thank you for responding!

Zettobi

Meeting neighbors
I wouldn't be too worried, but a vet visit is always a great way to clarify any concerns. But she looks exactly like how my own female sun conure regurgitates and she is in good health.

Alecine360

Real Name
Alexandria Wallis
Ok good to know! Reading up on regurgitating I’m now pretty sure this is what she’s doing, thank you for replying!! I can’t thank everyone enough I was so worried yesterday