• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun conure chewing

Ljean

Checking out the neighborhood
My 7 month sun conure Mango won't stop eating his wooden perches! He is swallowing the pieces and the perch literally looks like it is going to snap. I removed them from the cage and now he is just sitting dejectedly on a rope perch and not doing much. How do I get him to stop chewing and is eating the perch dangerous? Do I need to take him to the vet? 1501342835237-1335484277.jpg 1501342835237-1335484277.jpg 1501342835237-1335484277.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is he actually ingesting it? Birds are supposed to chew. What kinds of toys do you have for him? But he needs more than dowel perches, they can cause foot problems.

Lesley Yeung

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lesley
Bird lays waste to dowels. I still use them as structure for his perch. I also pick up branches when i go for walks. Some branches/deadwood/sticks are a total bust. Others are a big hit. I put them in the oven first, on high heat for at least 20 minutes. Not just for Bird's sake, but also my own. (I don't much care for creepy crawlies).

The real wood is much more durable. Also, it is free. And with a little creativity, a few zap staps, ropes, or some washers, screws and nuts, you can do a lot.

If you are sure Mango is swallowing the bits, use a really hard wood, or beachwood. I am not a vet or an expert. But I do know Bird can't even make a dent in some of the wood on his perch. Bird really like making a mess of softer wood also. But he doean't eat it. He just strips it until there is nothing left.

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Birds shred wood. Usually dropping the splinters on the floor of the cage.