• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun conure babies?

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Would you all share you photos of your sun conures at around 3/4 months?
My little girl is about 4 months old and i wondered if she looked more green than other baby ones? Would you share when they got their adult colours too please? I’ll attach a photo of Isla! She’s beautiful and so friendly! Someone told me she might be part jenday? Any ideas

Attachments

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Looks like a Sunday (hybrid between a Sun Conure and a Jenday) to me!

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Looks like a Sunday (hybrid between a Sun Conure and a Jenday) to me!
That’s what i’ve been told! What do they look like older and younger if you have photos? Some people said it’s possible she’ll get her adult feathers around 18 months or something and they said she looked fully sun conure but i also wondered if she was half jenday! is there any way to actually find out? like a test?

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
here’s some more photos of her. i’m trying to looking if she’s a sunday conure? thought these photos are a little clearer so wondering if someone can tell me what they think? Don’t worry her injury on the last one. She’s very feisty and got into an flight type thing with my other bird. She’s been to the vets and she’s on meds and she’s doing better now. that photo was the second day i took the photo to see if i could tell a difference in healing over more time. But she’s much better now and the two are separate so don’t worry about that

Attachments

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
“At maturity, a sun conure is bright orange and yellow with traces of green and blue. Juvenile sun conures are not nearly as colorful as adults—this is a natural defense mechanism. The first feathers are olive green in color, changing to a mixture of yellowish-orange at around 6 months of age. Full-color plumage occurs at approximately 1 year of age.”

“Jenday conures have multi-colored plumage with a red-orange body and green wings and back. Its tail has blue feathers, and the wings are rimmed with an iridescent blue as well. Also called a yellow-headed conure, it has a yellow head with orange patches on the face. Overall, jenday conures are very similar in size and appearance to sun conures. The easiest way to tell them apart is the jenday has green wings, while the sun's wings are primarily yellow.”

“If a mix between a sun conure and jenday occurs, the hybrid is called a ‘sunday’.”

6AD3ACD9-DA41-4BF8-A1D9-4C087083E976.jpeg
Young Adult Sun Conure (quietest one I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing)

CCF5E92E-499A-4F26-B483-AF566738A2B4.jpeg
Adult Jenday (sorry I don’t have a better picture)

1D7A1494-0214-4E59-B8C5-B77614AB61EB.jpeg
Baby Sun Conures (after a bath)

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
“At maturity, a sun conure is bright orange and yellow with traces of green and blue. Juvenile sun conures are not nearly as colorful as adults—this is a natural defense mechanism. The first feathers are olive green in color, changing to a mixture of yellowish-orange at around 6 months of age. Full-color plumage occurs at approximately 1 year of age.”

“Jenday conures have multi-colored plumage with a red-orange body and green wings and back. Its tail has blue feathers, and the wings are rimmed with an iridescent blue as well. Also called a yellow-headed conure, it has a yellow head with orange patches on the face. Overall, jenday conures are very similar in size and appearance to sun conures. The easiest way to tell them apart is the jenday has green wings, while the sun's wings are primarily yellow.”

“If a mix between a sun conure and jenday occurs, the hybrid is called a ‘sunday’.”

View attachment 349307
Young Adult Sun Conure (quietest one I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing)

View attachment 349308
Adult Jenday (sorry I don’t have a better picture)

View attachment 349309
Baby Sun Conures (after a bath)
suppose i’m just going to have to wait till Isla’s one before i know for sure! I don’t mind what she is but i’d love to know for sure haha

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You have a baby sun. I don't see anything in your baby to say "jenday" at all....

I've never owned either species, so I don't have any personal photos to share, just that based on what I know between the two species, you definitely have a sun! Jendays, even babies, would be redder in the stomach - including Sundays.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a clutch of sun conures earlier this year. Every one of them was different. One of them was very green on the wings and chest but did start to turn yellow as it got older.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
she does have a very a small bit off yellow on her shoulder
This would rule out a Jenday. My guess would be a sun I don't ever see that much yellow in that spot for a Sunday. She should be getting more yellow within the next couple of months. That being said babies will vary. My first pair were very yellow and their offspring was very green as a baby.

IMAG0151.jpg IMAG0138.jpg

Their spawn
20160628_152829.jpg 20160614_084943.jpg