• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun Conure Aggression?

Ghostie

Moving in
My Sun Conure is super sweet when it comes to me and my sister but I noticed that whenever my mother approaches him, he grows all fluffy and enters some sort of " battle mode ". He will open his beak and keep moving his head up and down, as if he is nodding, with this crazy look in his eyes. And whenever my she tries to touch him, he lunges and bites her. I made her give him a treat once and he was okay with her for a while but after that his aggression returned. Is there any way to make him more friendly with her?

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I would say try and get her to spend time with him while he is in his cage. Maybe she could work on target training with him when he is in his cage! Interacting with my Sun through her cage, eventually got her to have a bond with my Husband. We started with just him going to talk to her every day, then we graduated to offering her treats when she finally calmed down when he was near her cage, then he was able to handle her! She always preferred me, he could never interact with her while she was with me, but if he had her she was fine. Time and patience helped!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It is most likely that he is either trying to protect you, or that he is afraid of her. Has he had any experiences with your mother that could have frightened him? Things such as grabbing him, chasing him in his cage, him dropping from her hands, and many other small things can help to frighten the bird.

Ghostie

Moving in
I would say try and get her to spend time with him while he is in his cage. Maybe she could work on target training with him when he is in his cage! Interacting with my Sun through her cage, eventually got her to have a bond with my Husband. We started with just him going to talk to her every day, then we graduated to offering her treats when she finally calmed down when he was near her cage, then he was able to handle her! She always preferred me, he could never interact with her while she was with me, but if he had her she was fine. Time and patience helped!
Thank you for the advice, I will tell her to try it out. I do tell her to keep talking to him but she got disappointed that he kept biting and attacking her. I agree that time and patience helps a lot!

Ghostie

Moving in
It is most likely that he is either trying to protect you, or that he is afraid of her. Has he had any experiences with your mother that could have frightened him? Things such as grabbing him, chasing him in his cage, him dropping from her hands, and many other small things can help to frighten the bird.
Well, he flew to her once when she was in a hurry to do something and lost his grip because she was moving a bit fast. I did tell her to be more careful because he isn't exactly used to people. He began to act more aggressive towards her that day some time after that. Could that have made him afraid of her?

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Thank you for the advice, I will tell her to try it out. I do tell her to keep talking to him but she got disappointed that he kept biting and attacking her. I agree that time and patience helps a lot!
I know it can suck! But I bet it will help.