• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun Conure Advice?!

Birblover7

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Josie
In 3 days, I will be driving 4 hours to pick up a beautiful sun conure. He was a rescue, but was adopted out shortly after arriving at a shelter. He is believed to be about 5 years old. He is very tame and will sit on your shoulder all day. she said he enjoys all fruits and vegetables she's offered him. She has to get rid of him because of her roomate. we are bulding him a large 36"x24"x48" temporary cage (without stand) until I can afford a large cage. He comes with lots of shredding toys and natural perches, but I have a few spare toys and perches Im also giving him. (I dont allow any dowels whatsoever in my birbs cages) I've heard they are loud, and am okay with that. Is there anything I should know? I currently have 2 cockatiels and 3 parakeets, and don't have any experience in conures.

Attachments

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Take this with a grain of salt until more evidence comes in, but I think conures and some other new world parrots may be sensitive to the "dustiness" of old world and Australoasian species. You might need a fan with some air filtration set up near your new baby's abode.
Congratulations!! He looks like a cutie pah tootie:swoon:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:congrats5:

o0msd0o

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Misty
I grew up around cockatiels and parakeets when I was young... and now my husband has a jenday conure.. which is similar to a sun... and you can take this with a grain of salt... but IMO conures are completely different than those types of birds! My tiels and parakeet were sweet most of the time... and relatively easy to care for...plus their bites didn't hurt nearly as bad as our jendays pointed beak!... his conure can be like a bulldog! He gets mad and fuzzes up and goes full on attack mode sometimes.. Ripping holes and skin thru his shirt... biting his hands and his face once.. along with screaming fits.. all just because my husband touched something he didn't deem appropriate! They can be EXTREMELY protective of their people! And I know you said you don't mind noise... but you may want to have one close to you... and have it scream... non-stop... AND COMPLETELY deafen you once or twice before you make that statement!...
Please don't get me wrong! We all love our bird more than words can say! He attached himself to my husband.. and we all accept that.. but he also comes and spends time with each member of our family... we can all preen him.. and he does different cool tricks with each one of us! He "squeek" talks... so no one can really understand him unless you know the words he is trying to say... and I've taught him a few choice words on accident when he gets into his screaming rages... sometimes it gets so bad it makes me want to leave the house!... having a jenday is "different"! He has his moments where he can be the sweetest most loving little cuddle bug on the planet... and then there are moments where we wonder if we are completely insane for having such a brat in the house!... and his hormones can be insane too! We are well versed in this house on how to "appropriately" touch and interact with a bird... and it makes no difference with him! He can turn-on at the drop of a dime... and we have had to learn very quickly how to "turn him off".. in order to save our skin!... my husband spent massive amounts of time with him when we first got him... and then he turned on everyone else... he wouldn't take a treat or come out of the cage... and would bite and scream at ANYONE that wasn't my husband... and even he got bit a few times.. and then he stopped giving him soooo much attention... and after about a month he settled down and became friends with everyone else again.. and now as long as my husband doesn't spend "toooo much" time spoiling him.. we all can live together like one big happy flock!.... you'll have to meet this bird... give it time to settle in... and learn his actions and behaviors... and analyze every situation to figure out how to make everyone co-exist happily! And I do wish you the very best of luck! Conures are FUN! But.. they are not everyone's cup of tea!

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Make sure to quarantine your new bird. And when you introduce the birds you have to be strictly supervising them all the time. I have felt the difference between beaks, and a sun conure can bite HARD. So if your birds don't get along keep them separate. I would also encourage play. Having birds on shoulders is nice, but it is still important to put them down somewhere to occupy themselves. So that's all I have to say, congratulations on your new bird!

Birblover7

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Josie
She said he very rarely bites, and when he does its because he is jealous or she wont share his food. I did lots of research on birds before buying my first one, and I've also done lots of research on Sun conures, but I have never actually seen one IRL; I don't know what his past traumas are. This bird was a neglected breeder bird who was sold to him from a loving home. I'm assuming that's why he's so tame. He was one of the several hundred birds taken from the home. She did say when he yells it makes her ears ring. I'm a very resilient person. I won't get upset or hurt or yell at the bird from a couple bloody bites. I adore my birds more than anything in this world (except for family) and I would do and put up with anything for them. Whatever his traumas or behavioral problems are, I'm willing to work him through them. If he can never sort them out, I will stick with him and give him the love and care he needs no matter what. After discovering my passion for birds I decided to study to be an avian vet. Its going to be a LOT of work but I really wanna do it. Anyway, what I'm saying is I'm prepared to take on whatever tasks he has to offer. I was hoping for more advice on behaviors or needs I hadn't read about from conure owners themselves. After all, IRL experience is a lot better than what you read online!

Last edited by a moderator: