• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sun conure’s droppings are small and less frequent

Sun cutie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Madison Regan
First time using this forum so i’m hoping i’ve posted in the right section and have done everything right.

I have a 9 month old Sun Conure and yesterday I noticed that her droppings had gotten smaller and were less frequent than normal. They don’t smell and they’re the normal consistency and color. I’ve been advised when it’s something with poop and I don’t suspect that there’s blood in it to wait 24 hours and if it hadn’t cleared up to then call a vet. She had her large morning poop as i call it (a big poop sometime after they wake since they were holding it all night). her poop isn’t the normal size, but it is bigger. still not as frequent as usual. She’s not sleeping anymore than normal, she’s eating, and playing fine. My avian vet is closed today since it’s a Sunday, but I am going to call tomorrow as soon as they open to make an appointment. Just wanted to see if anyone had seen anything like this or knows what it could be?

Might be important so she has her vegetables in the morning with very little fruit mixed with sprouts for breakfast. she gets nuts by training or just as treats. and later on in the day she has zupreem pellets. She also always has clean filtered water available. Also she currently weighs 106 grams which was her weight before I noticed that her stool was smaller.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Welcome to Avian Avenue, Madison! What's your Sun Conure's name?

My Jenday is about the same age as your Sunnie. Are her morning poops smaller? His poops are pretty consistent in sizing besides the morning bomb which will be bigger than the rest of the day's poops. It may seem like an odd request but posting pictures of the poo can help. I think it's great that you're going to call your vet, I hope she's okay.

It sounds like she has a really good diet to me, how long have you had her?

Sun cutie

Real Name
Madison Regan
Thank you for the reply, her name is Comet. Her morning poop was the normal size which I took as a pretty good sign. I can’t upload any pics just yet as I just threw away the pad at the bottom of her cage so I could monitor it more closely, but when she does go again I will try to upload a pic. I’ve had her for about six months.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I know birds can hide illness but if her morning poo was normal sized that does sound like a good sign. Did you notice her straining at all to poo?

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
That's really good, I've heard of birds straining and having smaller poops but I'm glad that that's not the case. Hopefully your vet can give you more answers tomorrow! Let us know how it goes. I hope Comet is okay.

Sun cutie

Real Name
Madison Regan
I do weigh her every morning. She’s been about the same weight give or take a few grams and her lowest in the past week was only 104 grams so I have any issue with it