• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Summer and Mia are heading over to the macaw motorway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Hey! I can't be a Motorway without my two monsters!!

Summer is NOT HAPPY with her mommy working.
I think she's a bit too spoiled. For those who don't know, Summer is a 5.5 month old BG macaw. I'm abundance weaning her still (I'm a firm believer that she will be fed forever). She LOVES the syringe. She's an INSANELY picky eater. And has been driving me nuts with her eating habits.
I've figure out with fresh food.. if I give it to her as a puree in her syringe first she becomes familiar with the taste and a little bit of the texture. Then I STILL have to offer it consistently for about a week before the texture becomes completely "ok" for her. Once it's considered a food, it gets thrown into the variety of things she eats (never two of the same food on two consecutive days).
So far- we're eating all sorts of squash (is one particularly healthier than the others?!?!), pumpkin, sweet potato, yams, beans, banana, apple, pomegranate, plums, cantaloupe, grapes.

Other "potential" foods (not always touched) are peas, corn, peppers, oranges, strawberries,

Foods Summer completely HATES are: any pasta or rice, broccoli, zucchini, anything GREEN really....

I can't wait till someone has to bird sit. They're going to kill me. Anyway, Summer is a happy go lucky bird. She loves to cuddle but is happy just sitting on her playstand downstairs in the kitchen with us. Besides the eating, she is perfect!

Moving along,
Mia is my almost 2 year old Hahns macaw. I call her the Queen of the birdroom. She is a fast talking, sharp, funny, and entertaining bird. I'm sure she keeps everyone entertained all day while I'm at work because she does NOT shut up. She knows some of the bird by name, yells at them, praises them... she's hilarious.
She is pretty cuddly but she's a Hahns, so nips are NOT uncommon... though they're more like pinches which aren't bad to deal with. She'll eat anything that she sees go in MY mouth. If it's good enough for me, it's good enough for her... though... I hate squash and pumpkin but you should have seen the show I put on for her! Mia would attach herself permanently to my shoulders if she could but the problem is she gets board too quickly. She's flighted but was clipped too young as a baby so she VERY rarely flies. She's pretty much my ideal "active" bird...
She's going to be getting a new cage soonish... she's in a HQ flight now, but I'd love for her to have more room with me working full time.

And those are my macaw babies...

Here's the important part!

Attachments

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
:dance4:

I loved the updates and the pics, yeah I do hope you don't go away for awhile. lol

How can summer hate pasta i didn't know there ws a parrot alive that didn't love it.:hehe:

Last edited:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
You have go the two cutest macaws I have seen....and Summer...what a sweetheart!

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
Joanna those babies are absolutly beautiful.. Loved the pictures. Hug's Barb and Isis

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are those two gorgeous girls! :)

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
:dance4:

I loved the updates and the pics, yeah I do hope you don't go away for awhile. lol

How can summer hate pasta i didn't know there ws a parrot alive that didn't love it.:hehe:
she tends to like stuff that's juicy... she keeps trying to "juice" pasta and then looks at me with THAT look to say "Mom.. this fruit/veggie thing you gave me is broken". Then proceeds to shake her head causing the pasta to fly at my cabinets, dogs, face...

I TOLD you she's picky!

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
They are just beautiful! Jack is so glad to see Summer over here! He was worried...lol

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
They are both beautiful! Einstein is a picky eater also. He thinks if he can't hold it, its not food! He likes beans but again, tries to hold them and gets frustrated lol. He is also extremely fond of his formula! He has switched from breakfast/evening feedings to lunch/evening feedings. I think he is just to excited to be out in the morning to worry about eating!

For those of you who feed sweet potatoes, can you leave the peel on?

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Kathy- I peel mine. But I've grown to realize that I'm ridiculous and probably do TOO much than I need to :)

I'm glad Summer isn't the only picky eater.
She's just recently started liking holding foods, but only certain foods are worthy of holding. Apples and bananas being her favorites to hold.

If Summer is being extremely fussy or just playing with her food, I'll still give her a feeding during the day but I usually give her a puree feeding. Squash, sweet potato, are a basic staple and I'll add some stuff to it and thicken it with a little bit of formula or I'll use Gerbers baby brown rice cereal. lol... nope, not spoiled at all... sometimes she just need a little bit to stimulate her appetite and she'll go to her dish and eat. This is why I can't have real human kids. I'd spoil them way too much!!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
hehe, they are sooo adorable! Mia is such a ham, LOL! Summer is so beautiful!

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
Macaw motorway wouldnt be the same without them Joanna :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
look at those two beauties...wow

Jacqi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jacqi
This is why I can't have real human kids. I'd spoil them way too much!!
No way! You'll be a great mom. This is exactly why you have to have kids some day & actually kids are much easier in this department! You can bribe them into eating healthy things. :hehe: Birds are far more stubborn.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwwww, Summer and Mia are so adorable.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna

No way! You'll be a great mom. This is exactly why you have to have kids some day & actually kids are much easier in this department! You can bribe them into eating healthy things. :hehe: Birds are far more stubborn.
I've always been ambivalent about having human kids.... I see how my teenaged sisters are. They are 14 and 17 and I seriously feel terrible for my poor mother. I like kids. I play with them and I baby sit all my friends kids. But I'm just not sure that's the path for me... my furry and feathered babies are enough :)

Jacqi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jacqi
Well, haha. I should talk. I have 8 nieces & nephews & I'm already "done." I've "raised" enough kids. Puppies & birdies for John & I! ::high five::

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
If children are meant for you they will just come along! then the mind plays funny tricks on you and you change dramatically! After all they are yours right?
Love your pics of your feathered babies.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.