• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sulphur crested cockatoo subspecies

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I cannot work this out, so I think I need someone to explain it in small words for me.

There are four subspecies of sulphur crested toos. But there’s also great sulphur crested, and lesser.

Are greater and lesser parts of the four subspecies? Or are they subs of the subspecies? Where does a triton fit in? Is it a lesser, or greater, or neither?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think the triton's crest is more orange, but could be totally wrong.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I saw a picture of your bird in another post. I think she is either a triton or has a lot of triton in her. The subspecies were not kept very pure when imported birds were set up in breeding situations. Breeders would just pair up any two birds with a yellow crest. Close enough was apparently good enough at the time. Theoretically, there is the greaters which include the true greaters, eleanoras/medium sulfur crests, tritons and I think the Fitzroy. The true greaters would have scientific name Cacatua galerita galerita. The Triton would be Cacatua galerita triton. It's been a few years since I looked them up, but I think Tritons are known for having a bluish eye ring, broader crest with less flip at the end than the true greaters, a blockier beak and no yellow ear patches. Their body proportions are a bit more umbrella cockatoo like than the true greaters or eleanoras. It seems like from people I've met online that the triton behaviors are also a bit more umbrella like than the other greaters. In other words, they are a little more complex and difficult...not to say that sulfphur crested cockatoos are easy. They are just typically a little more independent than umbrellas and I think overall a bit less prone to over the top aggression issues and extreme plucking...as a rule with lots of exceptions.
Then there are the lesser sulfur crests which also has various subspecies including the citron crested cockatoo (with an orange crest). They would all be Cacatua sulphurea with a third word in the name for their specific subspecies.
I have either a greater sulfur crest or a greater/eleanora mix. Mine looks like a true greater but she's a little smaller. Hard to tell if she's just a small female or probably more likely mixed with a smaller subspecies. Congrats on your new bird. I read your original post about her but didn't comment at the time.