• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suggestions?:Millie refuses to go back to her cage at night/ Is terrorizing family members

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
I have a fully flighted green cheek conure, Melisandre. She is a really good bird, except she uses her flight skills as an advantage to get away when its time to go to bed.
Every time I try to get her to step up, she will fly away. I enjoy letting her have her flight feathers, because I believe that she should have them because who am I to make the choice that she cant fly? she's supposed to fly, she's a bird.
Anyways, I was interested to hear if any of you guys have had this problem, and if there is anything I can do to help retrain her. I fear this may have become a behavior, because she does it every time now.

On another note, I have something else I also need help with.
Millie enjoys terrorizing my brothers and my parents. She will fly up to them and attack them, or when they get near her she will bite them. She used to bite me when i first received the bird, but she doesn't anymore. Ive tried to get my family to do what i did, just ignore the biting since punishing a bird only leads to mis-trust, but this isn't working. She is seriously taking advantage of her flying abilities, and terrorizing my family.
My brothers find it funny, but I don't, because she has broken skin multiple times.

Just wondering if there's anything I can do to fix this issue, because I would enjoy bein able to bring her out of my room more often.

I am not going to clip her flight feathers, because we have many cats and dogs and Millie needs to be able to fly away if she feels spooked or threatened. I never let her out around our dogs, but sometimes I cant help if we can't find one or two of the cats.

Thanks!​

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
except she uses her flight skills as an advantage to get away when its time to go to bed.
of course she does conures rarely want to go to bed :lol:

On a serious note a routine and a treat is the way to improve things -
1. Remove any food and water from outside the cage a while before you want her to go to bed if she gets hungry she may return herself if you have any drama getting her back in instead of chasing her and her enjoying her new game sit down chill once she is hungry she will return if needed.
2. Tell her its nearly bed time tell her she has 30 mins lower the lights
3. have some of her fave treats ready when it's time for bed ask her to step up if she does treat and praise her, take her to her cage treat and praise her put her in treat and give her loads of praise.

It might take a bit of time but you will get there just avoid chasing her to get her back in the cage of you can as this will just be a game for her.

Millie enjoys terrorizing my brothers and my parents. She will fly up to them and attack them, or when they get near her she will bite them. She used to bite me when i first received the bird, but she doesn't anymore. Ive tried to get my family to do what i did, just ignore the biting since punishing a bird only leads to mis-trust, but this isn't working. She is seriously taking advantage of her flying abilities, and terrorizing my family.
My brothers find it funny, but I don't, because she has broken skin multiple times.
I cant really help you with this as there is only the two of us and my conures are fine with us both however it can be worked on and things can be improved however this will depend on some co operation from your family and yourself. Your brother thinking the parrot attacking will encourage the behaviour and make things worse.
this is worth a read this could be part of the issue

I will tag a few people who maybe able to help @Monica @Pixiebeak

Just wondering if there's anything I can do to fix this issue, because I would enjoy bein able to bring her out of my room more often.
I would advise keeping her in your room at the moment until you have a plan on how to work on the issue with her attacking the family and someone getting hurt or the bird getting hurt by someone defending themselves, look at this as a bit of short term pain for some long term gain, you will need a degree of co operation from your family though show them this post if you think it would help.

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
of course she does conures rarely want to go to bed :lol:

On a serious note a routine and a treat is the way to improve things -
1. Remove any food and water from outside the cage a while before you want her to go to bed if she gets hungry she may return herself if you have any drama getting her back in instead of chasing her and her enjoying her new game sit down chill once she is hungry she will return if needed.
2. Tell her its nearly bed time tell her she has 30 mins lower the lights
3. have some of her fave treats ready when it's time for bed ask her to step up if she does treat and praise her, take her to her cage treat and praise her put her in treat and give her loads of praise.

It might take a bit of time but you will get there just avoid chasing her to get her back in the cage of you can as this will just be a game for her.

I cant really help you with this as there is only the two of us and my conures are fine with us both however it can be worked on and things can be improved however this will depend on some co operation from your family and yourself. Your brother thinking the parrot attacking will encourage the behaviour and make things worse.
this is worth a read this could be part of the issue

I will tag a few people who maybe able to help @Monica @Pixiebeak

I would advise keeping her in your room at the moment until you have a plan on how to work on the issue with her attacking the family and someone getting hurt or the bird getting hurt by someone defending themselves, look at this as a bit of short term pain for some long term gain, you will need a degree of co operation from your family though show them this post if you think it would help.
Thanks, I will try all of the above. She really is quite a diva sometimes lol.
Shes gotten really good at step up, so I will try enticing her with some treats when getting her to go to bed.

right now when i try to get her to step up to go to bed, she flies onto my head and shell climb into her cage sometimes, other times she flies away as I start walking towards the cage.

Thanks!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sorry, I only read the first paragraph of your post, it is just too much effort for me trying to read that much information when it is all centered like that.

Do you treat your bird for going back into the cage?

I always give Burt a high value treat for going back in his cage and I can literally put him back in there any time I need to without any fuss as he willingly gets off my hand to sit on his perch and wait for an in shell nut or a few pine nuts.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
she uses her flight skills as an advantage to get away when its time to go to bed.
What's going on in the environment when you're trying to put her to bed? Is there still action happening, or have the lights been out for a while and everyone else is also going to bed? Is her current bed time a hard requirement, or could it be moved in the home's routine?

The routine that we follow in my home is that the action stops, the lights are lowered and everyone settles where they wish (they each have their own spots). It isn't until later when I'm going to bed myself that the birds are also put in their sleep cages and by that time they're very low-energy. The analogy would be carrying a groggy child to their bed when everything is quiet versus telling a wide-awake child it's bedtime when the adults are still chatting around the dinner table and the TV's on.

Like Shez though, mine will also go to their cages when I need them to during the day, so it's possible the nightly routine is more for me than them :)

sometimes I cant help if we can't find one or two of the cats.
This is a pretty scary thing to read and I'd encourage figuring things out where that's not the case.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
I was having this issue with my GCC. It would be hell to put her in her cage. She would fly all over the house as soon as she sensed I was trying to put her in her cage.

I started giving her a small amount of a high-value treat every time she’d go in the cage. Now, as soon as she sees me walking towards the closet where treats are stored, she makes a beeline for the cage and puts herself in and waits for the treat.

I’m telling you, she used to be very difficult to get back in her cage, but now it’s freakishly easy.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have found a bedtime routine is key. Which starts before the bird gets tired. A tired bird is a difficult bird. A favorite bedtime only inside cage snack helps. Also spending time with her while she is in the cage before covering her or leaving etc. Too often birds associate cage with you going away. So I sit with my birds for awhile. Sing to them etc. Then once they start beak grinding, I cover them. You want bedtime to be something fun and relaxing for them.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I totally echo a treasured snack as a treat given in a separate bowl in the cage at bedtime. Only to be given at this time. My six conures are kept on pelleted diets along with fresh or lightly cooked veggies in the evening to supplement their diet. The only time they get their high value treat… which is seed…is when it’s lock-up time when I’m finished cleaning up and changing papers and they’ve had time out to visit each other or me. I limit the seed to a teaspoon rounded. They are all so anxious to get at the seed they’re happy to go in their cages. Casey.. who loves to snuggle and preen with the girls is like “ BYE FELICIA!!!! “ gotta GO!!! Cracks me up how love only goes so far. :D

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
What's going on in the environment when you're trying to put her to bed? Is there still action happening, or have the lights been out for a while and everyone else is also going to bed? Is her current bed time a hard requirement, or could it be moved in the home's routine?

The routine that we follow in my home is that the action stops, the lights are lowered and everyone settles where they wish (they each have their own spots). It isn't until later when I'm going to bed myself that the birds are also put in their sleep cages and by that time they're very low-energy. The analogy would be carrying a groggy child to their bed when everything is quiet versus telling a wide-awake child it's bedtime when the adults are still chatting around the dinner table and the TV's on.

Like Shez though, mine will also go to their cages when I need them to during the day, so it's possible the nightly routine is more for me than them :)

This is a pretty scary thing to read and I'd encourage figuring things out where that's not the case.
Im working very heavily on our cat situation, Ive grown to learn that not all of our cats are very friendly, So I dont take millie out anymore unless I am 100% sure that all the cats are away in a room.

When Im putting Millie to bed, the lights usually are dimmed, but there is still some activity.
I think Im going to try just letting her go into my room before I actually put her in her cage, and then let her calm down.

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
I was having this issue with my GCC. It would be hell to put her in her cage. She would fly all over the house as soon as she sensed I was trying to put her in her cage.

I started giving her a small amount of a high-value treat every time she’d go in the cage. Now, as soon as she sees me walking towards the closet where treats are stored, she makes a beeline for the cage and puts herself in and waits for the treat.

I’m telling you, she used to be very difficult to get back in her cage, but now it’s freakishly easy.
I should try treats. I usually use her papaya, but I think she might like Mango better.
Thanks!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Remove any food and water from outside the cage a while before you want her to go to bed if she gets hungry she may return herself if you have any drama getting her back in instead of chasing her and her enjoying her new game sit down chill once she is hungry she will return if needed.
My birds never wanted to go back and that caused them to not be taken out at certain times. If I have a limited time in the morning, I would opt to keep them in and let them out later. I didn’t want that. So I did the same thing, I took out all the food for a few hours before and then make a big deal about getting their food ready. And since they are obsessed with everything I do, this interests them. They hear the top opening, they get used to the routine of getting fed and treats when they go in. I also make little paper triangles with seeds inside and it’s their favorite toy. That’s always a winner.

Also, one thing I noticed is that if I’m in a rush, and I feel nervous like oh I NEED to get them in, they can almost feel it. I could do the same thing I always do but when that pressure is on, they can sense the energy shift and almost all the time, I can’t get them in. I can’t even catch them. They usually will go in now for food with no problem…but those days that I’m nervous about timing, those are the days I end up chasing them. So point being, don’t rile yourself up. Make it a reward and start the night time routine early so you have a lot of time. That can help avoid frustration. Good luck!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I also leave their door open during the day when I give them a little lunch or midday snack. Once they realize they can go in and get what they want and can still come back out, they seemed to immediately relax. It made it seem more like a place they have all their favorite stuff instead just a place they are getting closed in.

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
Ill try all these suggestions!
I usually let Millie out from 12:00 - 3:00 Pm , and then again from 7:00 - 9 or 10:00 Pm.

This is because I do have school, because I am a minor.

But I do try my best to let her be out of her cage for at least 3 hours a day minimum. Weekends are easier, because She can be out for an hour in the morning as well.

Thanks everyone! ^^