• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suggestions for PBFD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apaintedsparrow

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
A very sweet lady subscribed to my Facebook page and shared photos of her Charlie, a beautiful two-year old Galah who has major PBFD. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions I can share with her about helping treat, or at the very least, make him more comfortable? Her story really touched my heart but I don't know anything about it. :(

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
aww how sad. there are ways to prolong their lives and still give them quality of life. the first is to find an avian certified vet with PBFD experience who will treat their symptoms as they come up. according to my research its the secondary infections that usually claim the lives of birds who are affected. so diligence and frequent vet visits is a key.

i remember a person on another forum who had a PBFD bird whom she nursed along. last i heard he was still living happily. there is also one here in florida who is living happily, tho featherless.

naturally its also important that she avoid other birds, she is sure to have dander and such on her clothes. i read that F-10 is the only disinfectant that kills the disease on surfaces. she should get some. she needs to be extra diligent in good husbandry practices.

of course, i got all my info from the net. she should research for herself, dont take my word for it. but #1 is to get a GOOD certified avian vet who can help her.

apaintedsparrow

Real Name
Jamie
Thank you so much for responding. It is really sad. She isn't able to have children, and the way I understood it was that she purchased Charlie when she found out. :( she said he's still curious and loving... I just know it has to be heartbreaking. I'll do some research too. Thank you, again.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Is she for sure its PBFD? Could be regular feather issues. Ofcourse an avian vet check blood work needs to be done.

Im not sure if there are treatments for this disease though. But if she is only guessing he has it due to feathering issues she needs to have him seen by an avian vet.

apaintedsparrow

Real Name
Jamie
She is. I've seen pictures of him and he looks like a half plucked chicken. :-( i just didnt know if anyone here had any first hand experience with the disease and suggestions that I could offer to make him more comfortable.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Well being plucked doesn't mean PBFD. Only a positive test means that.

Avianbiotech.com sells test kits.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I agree with Mercedez, unless the bird has been tested, I wouldn't automatically think PBFD and even then, you can get false positives, so I would test more than once and see a vet. Is this a bird in the states and does she have other birds. PBFD is really hard to get rid of, even after the bird has passed away. So, it's important to find out for sure if the bird really does have PBFD, especially if the woman is considering another bird in the future.

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
She is. I've seen pictures of him and he looks like a half plucked chicken. :-( i just didnt know if anyone here had any first hand experience with the disease and suggestions that I could offer to make him more comfortable.
i tend to assume people know what they are talking about when they say their bird has a particular disease/condition.

we ARE sure this person is not confusing Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease (a progressive fatal disease) with Feather Destructive Disorder?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

i tend to assume people know what they are talking about when they say their bird has a particular disease/condition.

we ARE sure this person is not confusing Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease (a progressive fatal disease) with Feather Destructive Disorder?
Sadly, when we are talking about birds, many people really have no idea. I would really question it unless a vet has been involved and several tests have been run. I know someone very well versed in the pet world who was told by a vet that her parrot had PBFD and it was a false positive. You can't assume anything when you're talking about something as serious as PBFD.

apaintedsparrow

Real Name
Jamie
Hmm. I'm not sure I would know how approach that conversation with a stranger. Perhaps that would be too intrusive given the circumstances. It is good to know though. I will not be accepting any feathers or anything from that household. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.