• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suggestions for macaw proof toy hanging options.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hey guys, Burt has been very obsessed with destroying quick links, so I upgraded to bigger stronger ones and now he has decided if he can not completely destroy them then he will lock them either open or closed so I can not use them and I actually need to get my son to free them with a set of pliers to be able to use them again.
I used to get a few days grace before having to sort them out but not anymore! As fast as I put them in or fix them he re locks them, I am looking for suggestions of other hanging options I can use that are obviously safe but also as easy to remove and replace as the quick links.
I do have a few skewers which I have used to string toys on instead of leaving them on their original chains (he also thinks every non welded steel ring or chain link needs to be altered) but they are not cheap to use for every hanging thing I have for him at approx $20 each, I also have one of the small hooks that is secured with a ball (like the skewers have) but they are not a cost effective way to hang his toys with either. Are there any other options that I have not thought of or come across that are macaw proof and reasonably priced so I do not have to limit how many things I can hang for him?
If not then I will bite the bullet and put extra spends aside for Mr Burt to start buying more skewers and the other ball hook hangers.

Edit: he just broke one of the cheaper skewers grrrrr :lol:

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Sorry I can't offer any suggestions. Frankie is not a fan of his hanging toys and only plays with them occasionally.
He prefers to destroy cardboard boxes or my coffee table lol

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh yes! Burt loves all of those too, along with many other things he thinks will be better with a stressed look :rofl:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
A piece of hemp instead of a link, threaded through the toy and top cage bar might work.
Can he untie knots?
Just be careful there is not a loop he can get tangled in.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
A piece of hemp instead of a link, threaded through the toy and top cage bar might work.
Can he untie knots?
Just be careful there is not a loop he can get tangled in.
I hate to say it, but, no unfortunately that will not work as we upgraded from ropes and strings to stainless steel wire and chains way back...... he snips them if he can not just pull the knots open. I am starting to think he has more fun undoing and totally deconstructing things than he has with the actual toys.

I have a feeling I will just have suck it up and purchase more of the good skewers and ball hooks like @expressmailtome uses, so far they are the only things he has not worked out how to undo or break.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Inside the cage or out?

If it's inside the cage that this is an issue, buy some frisbees or big washers. Run the chain through the cage bar, through the washer and/or frisbee then quick link it.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Snip
Catch, Ma!

He probably thinks it's a game.
It's very important to provide appropriate enrichment for your pet human. Humans are generally considered intelligent and it's very important to allow them to exercise their natural problem-solving skills. Destroying things will challenge your human to come up with solutions :laughing2:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Inside the cage or out?

If it's inside the cage that this is an issue, buy some frisbees or big washers. Run the chain through the cage bar, through the washer and/or frisbee then quick link it.
I can not picture how you mean and for the life of me I can not understand how this would stop him getting to the links- any chance of a pic? He undoes every quick link he can get to so if they were hanging from the ceiling of the room I may be able to do the frisbee trick but in the cage he would just climb the bars and hang from the top of the cage instead of climbing the chain to get to them I would think.
I am guessing I am going to have to buy more of the hooks with the big acrylic balls.

Edit: Oh I think I get how you mean now! The little brat drops every perch when he is out of the cage so I am putting them back numerous times a day- maybe I need to get him more mechanical type toys to play with..... might satisfy his need to undo everything.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It's very important to provide appropriate enrichment for your pet human. Humans are generally considered intelligent and it's very important to allow them to exercise their natural problem-solving skills. Destroying things will challenge your human to come up with solutions :laughing2:
Spot on!! :rofl:

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
No, no no no no. Really the best way to entertain a pet human is to hide their stuff, so they’ll have to forage for it. Foraging for items is great enrichment and entertainment for your human. It is also a great way to exercise them, as they can run around their giant cage, entertained for hours on end, foraging for what you’ve taken. :D