• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suggestions for introducing new/changed things?

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Hello everyone!
I recently changed my parrots featherbrite bulb to the new led model! The bulb normally goes into a standing lamp with a reading lamp attached and set up next to his cage with the reading lamp hovering just above his cage. I had to use a new lampshade to accommodate for the size of the new bulb and now my parrot is terrified of it! (Who could blame him, change is scary!!!) Though now because of this he has been without his sun bulb for a week! Normally I move him into my bedroom during the day while I work, and carry the lamp into the room and set it up so he's all situated with some good vitamin D.

What I have been trying to do to get him comfortable with it is interacting with it in front of him, and making sure its visible to him no matter what room he is in. I've been keeping the same routine that I normally do with his lamp (though it does scare him when it moves). Then each day, I move it a little bit closer to him and have the lamp on. Is this a good approach? Or are there better suggestions? He seems at peace when its in the room with him, but it stresses him out if it moves or I set it up next to him like normal. I don't want to keep stressing him out!

Dgh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dana
This isn't an easy one to answer. I would just place it where it's permenant place should be and leave it there maybe one night after his bedtime. So when he wakes up its just a part of the background. The following him around may be part of the problem.
My birds always have their veggie/sprouts lunch in cage under their lights. I haven't made the switch yet to the new bulbs but their routine will be the same. In cage. Lunch in a bowl. Then preening/play with toys time. I get a 2 hour break and they get vitamin d and lunch.
It may take a little while for him to accept it but he will. You can also try making it awesome that the light is there by giving an in cage treat he doesn't normally have. I use millet sprigs and quartered sunflower seeds in out of cage training only so if I am trying to make it a special day for whatever reason. I would just place them some on the floor of the cage. They are so happy to get free treats they aren't paying attention to what else is up. Good luck and just keep trying. Patience with them is key.