• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suggestion urgent plesse

Mktiel012

Moving in
Hello

My charcoal cockatiels layed 4 eggs ..both parents are really good..
Anytime eggs will be hatched..i won't be hand feeding them ..i want the parents to do it..I might feed them when they wjll be 3 weeks old.
When the eggs will be hatched, can I add diluted apple cider vinegor in their seed/ spinach leaves and boiled black chickpeas ?
Last time the chicks died because of crop stasis..I dont know what mistake i made..
the weather was too hot ,because It was the only of July, t was very hot and my house is also hot during summer ( no coolers in my house )..so did they die because of hot weather ??
Did the parents overfeed? If yes what should I do then??
Last time i did not give any green leaves..probably that's why they died of no fiber or hence no digestion ??

There's another thing there's a baby medicine " gripe water " aka herbal gripe water ..its given in new born and infant babies ..
Use regulate digestion
Relief in constipation, indigestion, flatulence, diarrhea and abdominal cramps...

So should I give gripe water or apple cider vinegor??

Anyone kindly guide me / reply soon ...eggs will be hatched anytime ..maybe tonight or tomorrow...

Ps
No vet in my city

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Hello

My charcoal cockatiels layed 4 eggs ..both parents are really good..
Anytime eggs will be hatched..i won't be hand feeding them ..i want the parents to do it..I might feed them when they wjll be 3 weeks old.
When the eggs will be hatched, can I add diluted apple cider vinegor in their seed/ spinach leaves and boiled black chickpeas ?
Last time the chicks died because of crop stasis..I dont know what mistake i made..
the weather was too hot ,because It was the only of July, t was very hot and my house is also hot during summer ( no coolers in my house )..so did they die because of hot weather ??
Did the parents overfeed? If yes what should I do then??
Last time i did not give any green leaves..probably that's why they died of no fiber or hence no digestion ??

There's another thing there's a baby medicine " gripe water " aka herbal gripe water ..its given in new born and infant babies ..
Use regulate digestion
Relief in constipation, indigestion, flatulence, diarrhea and abdominal cramps...

So should I give gripe water or apple cider vinegor??

Anyone kindly guide me / reply soon ...eggs will be hatched anytime ..maybe tonight or tomorrow...

Ps
No vet in my city
Firstly I don’t think it will be a good idea to continue to breed after this clutch since you really need a vet especially in emergency’s.

I don’t breed so hopefully other members will come on and help you soon.

Do you mean the Gripe water is meant for baby birds or human babies? If it’s meant to human ones definitely don’t give it to the baby’s.

Mktiel012

Moving in
Firstly I don’t think it will be a good idea to continue to breed after this clutch since you really need a vet especially in emergency’s.

I don’t breed so hopefully other members will come on and help you soon.

Do you mean the Gripe water is meant for baby birds or human babies? If it’s meant to human ones definitely don’t give it to the baby’s.

It's meant for human babies...
Why not to give to baby cockatiel? It's a herbal water ..
Doctors give same human medicines to animals ..the only difference is the dosage between humans and animals...

I never wanted them to lay eggs..they started mating and had to put nest box for them..

I dont want the chicks to die..I have only one pair..and I dont want the parents to see ther chicks die again...

I'm not sure of giving diluted apple vinegor to a new born cockatiels ..maybe on alternative days, adding little amount in water soft food and seeds

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara should be able to help you. Just be careful with giving anything to the birds just based on your gut feeling. Always look online or ask here first :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Some herbs are poisonous to one species and not another-you need to know what herbs.

ACV in the water 15 ml to a liter. Give to the parents, they’ll pass to babies.
I never wanted them to lay eggs..they started mating and had to put nest box for them.
Thats ridiculous. You didn’t “have” to. You can...
Boil the eggs and give them back
Trade for dummy eggs
Refuse to give a nest

it is impossible for us to say why the babies died, but why keep breeding if you don’t know what you are doing?

I posted this in another thread:
he problem with backyard or indiscriminate breeding is just this. People don't know what they don't know. Finding a mentor, spending a breeding season volunteering in their aviary and then not breeding until the next year makes more sense but nobody ever does it that way. They breed, do not understand the behavior or signs they see, and babies suffer or die. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Don't give gripe water to the baby birds or adult birds. Some of them have alcohol and sugar plus you do not know if the gripe water will harm them or even be of help to them.

Mktiel012

Moving in
Some herbs are poisonous to one species and not another-you need to know what herbs.

ACV in the water 15 ml to a liter. Give to the parents, they’ll pass to babies.

Thats ridiculous. You didn’t “have” to. You can...
Trade for dummy eggs
Refuse to give a nest

it is impossible for us to say why the babies died, but why keep breeding if you don’t know what you are doing?

I posted this in another thread:
he problem with backyard or indiscriminate breeding is just this. People don't know what they don't know. Finding a mentor, spending a breeding season volunteering in their aviary and then not breeding until the next year makes more sense but nobody ever does it that way. They breed, do not understand the behavior or signs they see, and babies suffer or die. Just my 2 cents.

I think I didn't mention in my post..
I got this pair last year...I breeded once only last year..I was not guided properly.. I kept asking the shopkeeper but greedy man didn't help me much..when the chicks died In their second week I was heart broken..and most important I didnt want the parents to see all this..
I always wanted a tame parrot family in my house..I couldn't find one so I bought a pair from market..
I wanted to have only one clutch so that the chicks are tamed...
And this year, I wanted them to mate but I didnt due to some reason...but when they started mating ,so I had to place nest box..
I didnt know they would still mate without putting a nest box...I didnt want them to lay eggs on cage or on the floor so I placed a nest box..
I recently got dummy eggs...next time I be doing that..

About mentors...in my village they are not much of help..they do business...I have no words for them
When I got these cockatiels the beaks were not healthy.. it was all cracked ...they were not even feeding proper seeds to poor parrots. Only two or three kinds of seed..
I kept reading things online, and In three or 4 months breaks became healthy..smooth and shiny...
They are very dear to me although they are not tamed and hate when I touch them..but still I love them alot .. and I will never give them back ...they are very happy in my house..always singing ..but the just dont like human touch..

Yes I'll do that @ ACV diluted..instead of herb water..
I never thought of herbs being poisonous to them..thank you for this information..I will read about which herbs are poisonous to them..I knew few veg are not good for them..that I knew.

Thank you !

Mktiel012

Moving in
Don't give gripe water to the baby birds or adult birds. Some of them have alcohol and sugar plus you do not know if the gripe water will harm them or even be of help to them.
It doesn't have any alchol..that I'm sure...
Yes the sugar was a concern to me..that's why I was reluctant of giving herbal water ..I found this forum last night.. that's why wanted to confirm which is safer ACV or herbal water..
Thank you !

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also I don't know where you are located, but because of Covid-19 be sure to stock up on all the stuff you might possibly need in advance as delivery and buying things is difficult at the moment. Copied from another thread:

I hope you are prepared. I would strongly advise that you go now and buy every single thing you may need for the next two months. This includes, bedding (wood shavings), 2x large tubs formula, feeding spoon, heat pad, brooder, seeds, pellets, frozen veggies, small towels (I use tea towels that are for birds only), thermometre, digi scale, disinfectant and a first aid kit containing pedialite, quik stop, swabs etc
@Mockinbirdiva did I miss something off the list?

I would recommend this for anyone breeding but you more-so because when the time comes and you need something, you may not be able to get it.
Just recently there was a post here, someone couldn´t repurchase their formula due to dwindling stock.

Also call your vet and see what the situation is there, let them know what is going on, and that you may be ok but just want to know what the deal is. Some vets are closing, some are staying open and others are adopting a wait-in-your-car system. It is important you know because it is too natural to just race to the vet and barge in in the event of an emergency, and if they have the car system in place you could be putting someone at risk.

Mktiel012

Moving in
Also I don't know where you are located, but because of Covid-19 be sure to stock up on all the stuff you might possibly need in advance as delivery and buying things is difficult at the moment. Copied from another thread:
Thank you for your concern..
Yes I already have stocked the seeds..I have plenty of them...unfortunately there is no delivery of groceries in our area..only restaurant foods get delivered. Was never a fan of restaurant food..always love home cooked food..

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi @Mktiel012

When were these eggs laid? If they were all in the last week, I would say to consider boiling them all before they start to develop.
(edit; I just saw you have dummy eggs, in that case switch them and just squash the eggs over the bin with your thumb and finger, you can say a few words if it makes you feel better, but until a few days after incubation no life is forming, there is no embryo, you can check them with a little led torch, if they glow yellow, switch them out, if they glow orange leave them be)
My main reason for saying that is this current situation in the world, it is making access to matierial and help very difficult, then on top of that you say there´s no vet near you. Professional/more experienced breeders will be carrying on as usual right now because theywill have all the supplies, equiptment and know-how to do this.
You could then allow the birds a break, get them eating healthy pellets and veggies, before the next breeding season.

If the eggs are older than a week and are developing, then have a look at the message @Khizz quoted (#10), I tried to list as many things as I could think of.
Be sure to offer some nice dark green veggies daily; kale, carrot, broccoli, swiss chard, bok choy, peppers..

And for the future;
You can...
Trade for dummy eggs
Refuse to give a nest
I personally like dummy eggs, boiling eggs it too much messing around for my liking but it works well if you can´t find dummy eggs available or if the bird lays while you are sourcing dummy eggs.
If one of my hens starts laying a full clutch, I like to give a nest box, but they get dummy eggs. One of my girls just nests in her dish so I don´t give her a box.

I always wanted a tame parrot family in my house..I couldn't find one so I bought a pair from market..
@Khizz brought home a pair of untamed Tiels and has worked really hard building trust, she would be a good person to converse with and ask for tips :)

Last edited:

Mktiel012

Moving in
The only thing that I dont have is a broader because I cant afford one. They are very expensive in my area.and other thing heating pad..its not available in my area..I do have a hot bottle ../ heater in my room

Mktiel012

Moving in
Hi @Mktiel012

When were these eggs laid? If they were all in the last week, I would say to consider boiling them all before they start to develop.
(edit; I just saw you have dummy eggs, in that case switch them and just squash the eggs over the bin with your thumb and finger, you can say a few words if it makes you feel better, but until a few days after incubation no life is forming, there is no embryo, you can check them with a little led torch, if they glow yellow, switch them out, if they glow orange leave them be)
My main reason for saying that is this current situation in the world, it is making access to matierial and help very difficult, then on top of that you say there´s no vet near you. Professional/more experienced breeders will be carrying on as usual right now because theywill have all the supplies, equiptment and know-how to do this.
You could then allow the birds a break, get them eating healthy pellets and veggies, before the next breeding season.

If the eggs are older than a week and are developing, then have a look at the message @Khizz quoted (#10), I tried to list as many things as I could think of.
Be sure to offer some nice dark green veggies daily; kale, carrot, broccoli, swiss chard, bok choy, peppers..

And for the future;

I personally like dummy eggs, boiling eggs it too much messing around for my liking but it works well if you can´t find dummy eggs available or if the bird lays while you are sourcing dummy eggs.
If one of my hens starts laying a full clutch, I like to give a nest box, but they get dummy eggs. One of my girls just nests in her dish so I don´t give her a box.

@Khizz brought home a pair of untamed Tiels and has worked really hard building trust, she would be a good person to converse with and ask for tips :)
Thank you so much for your reply ...
I have posted a long message on your personal profile post..it was not allowing me to write one big message so I pasted in parts..
Kindly read them..

No unfortunately the eggs are now 17 or 18 days old..
Exactly because of covid 19 I didn't want them to breed.. this whole time I thought if you dont keep a nest box they will not breed.. but still they did..and that's why I placed a nest box ..already the chicks died last year I didnt want to take eggs away..didn't want them to think I'm a bad human ..didn't wanna torture them ...
I read your post , I have everything except heating pad not available in my area and brooder which I cant afford ..I do have hot bottle and heater on my room..
But I'm hoping they are great parents ...last time they fed them all the time ,they didnt leave them..they seem great parents to me..all the time they are inside the nest box ..both parents ..

Regarding vegetables I have fresh lettuce spinach and coriander..also have corn..lots of eggs .. ..carrots cucumber too not sure is it okay to feed or give newly hatched chicks cucumber and carrot..especially in the first 10 days..
There's no other fresh veg available in my area.

I do have frozen broccoli but I read frozen veg is not good for baby chicks..

I do need some guidance what else can I feed to newly hatched babies.. so they dont die ..no crop stais occur.. I have mentioned that in your post..

I remember last time when the chicks hatched ,the parents were feeding them dutifully but they were not much sitting on them or staying inside the nest box much. I thought maybe the weather was too hot..I remember the weather was very hot outside..
And I'm sure there was no humidity...probably that's why crop stais occured ...

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
didn't want them to think I'm a bad human ..didn't wanna torture them
You are not a bad human for removing eggs. And your birds would never think that, they don´t think like humans do. They wouldn´t even know because you would replace the egg with a dummy. For them it would be ¨oh, this egg didn´t hatch¨ and move on. I think that is better than allowing a clutch and the parents suffer their offspring not fledging.

brooder which I cant afford
You can make one with a turtle box or small tank.

I do need some guidance what else can I feed to newly hatched babies.. so they dont die ..no crop stais occur.
Their parents will regurgitate for them.
Should they not feed them, you can intervene and feed them some formula. This is something very very important to have on hand because when you need it, you need it right now. Make the mix following the instructions on the tub. The younger the baby the thinner the formula. Feed it at 105F. Temperature is important to avoid crop stasis/sour crop.

but they were not much sitting on them or staying inside the nest box much. I thought maybe the weather was too hot..I remember the weather was very hot outside..
If it was hot out, then they would brood a little less as to not over heat the chicks. I had a clutch hatch in August and it was approx 44C (111F) daily, parents cared for them in their wooden nest box.

We cannot say for sure what went wrong with your last clutch. It would have been an idea to get a necropsy to find out for sure but at this point there´s nothing you can do.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You can make one with a turtle box
These are sold as pet carriers and other uses. A plastic rectangular tub with a grated lid. Where I live they are sold as terrariums for turtles (sad, I know)
Screenshot_20200401_143620_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
They need to be filled with a few inches of wood shavings.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have read the posts you left on my profile, but it is best to keep the conversation here so other members can help out too.

¨Part 10
When my cockatiels gets diarrhea especially in summers I give them an antibiotic metrondiazole ..I inject the liquid in their food / water ..just for 3 days or 5 ..depends on how much severe it is..
And the infection gets better ..

So should I add this a antibiotic in food for the chicks or not?? Apple cider vinegor will be enough ?? ¨

I would advise not to give any medicines to your birds without a vet saying so, or you have intensive knowledge about those medicines. I have very poor knowledge of medicine and leave that to my vet.
@Hankmacaw @Mockinbirdiva @Monica

Also, please don´t send me the videos of your passed chicks, I really can´t help you with the cause or what went wrong, I wish I could help you get the closure but I can´t. You could try asking a vet, but again, I doubt they can tell you 100% what went wrong.

Also, to clarify, you can give your adults vegetables while they are feeding the chicks. Their bodies regulate the temperature of the food and then regurgitate warm food for the little ones.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I cannot be of any assistance to this person.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Just because they are mating doesn't mean that they will lay eggs.

Just because eggs are laid doesn't mean that they will be fertile.

There's a lot of things that could go wrong in regards to raising chicks. We are not vets and most of us are not experienced breeders. We can't say if your chicks died from dehydration, over-heating, crop stasis (bacterial and/or fungal infections), or something else.

@melissasparrots would be more experienced in this area, and even then, without being able to see what's going on, it's hard to say.

If the eggs are fertile, you are looking at at least 3-5 more days, minimum, before they hatch. I would personally highly recommend finding an experienced breeder near you to get hands on experience, although it would probably be best to wait until next year.

Also, if you are only breeding to have a tame and friendly chick without knowing what you are doing, I do not recommend breeding. The parents *CAN* be tamed. It may take a bit more time, but it is possible.

Mktiel012

Moving in
I have read the posts you left on my profile, but it is best to keep the conversation here so other members can help out too.

¨Part 10
When my cockatiels gets diarrhea especially in summers I give them an antibiotic metrondiazole ..I inject the liquid in their food / water ..just for 3 days or 5 ..depends on how much severe it is..
And the infection gets better ..

So should I add this a antibiotic in food for the chicks or not?? Apple cider vinegor will be enough ?? ¨

I would advise not to give any medicines to your birds without a vet saying so, or you have intensive knowledge about those medicines. I have very poor knowledge of medicine and leave that to my vet.
@Hankmacaw @Mockinbirdiva @Monica

Also, please don´t send me the videos of your passed chicks, I really can´t help you with the cause or what went wrong, I wish I could help you get the closure but I can´t. You could try asking a vet, but again, I doubt they can tell you 100% what went wrong.

Also, to clarify, you can give your adults vegetables while they are feeding the chicks. Their bodies regulate the temperature of the food and then regurgitate warm food for the little ones.

Can you tell me should I add diluted apple cider vinegor In water / or soft food or in soaked seeds ?? Alternative days or not ?