• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sugar or seed (also pellet question)

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
So is sugar in pellets (talking about the Zupreem and Higgins Intune brands) worse than seeds (sunflower seeds that is).
Also Puff doesn't like Roudybush but prefered the sweetened Zupreem and Higgins InTune.
Though the saying goes 'whatever pellet that your bird will eat is a good pellet' bit I am still thinking whether I should continue with the sweetened pellets or forget them all and just buy Roudybush. I am actually tempted to forget about Roudybush so I. want to know if that will be a good choice.
Also just had bad is sugar in birds,actually?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would say that the nutrients offered by a sweetened pellet is better than feeding only seed. I know this because my Jardine's ate seeds for 19 years... And was super sick when I got him. He eats Zupreem Fruity (sweetened) and its so much healthier!

Seeds are devoid or low in many things birds need - calcium, vitamin A, D3, for example - and high in fat, which can lead to heart issues. On a seed diet Ripley had respiratory distress, an overgrown and weak beak, grip problems, was underweight, had poor muscle development, and a heart murmur... All because of seeds.

I prefer an unsweetened pellet, hands down. But since Ripley won't currently eat one without sugar, I'll gladly keep the pellet he will eat. There are a LOT of options to try though! Roudybush is a good brand but I've never had a bird that liked it, sadly!

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
yup.Gotta say I can't change his mind... on the bright side,I started his yes/no training. (in actuality just me training him not to be scared of the yes/no cards...)