• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sugar Glider question

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Hi everyone! A potential customer has asked me about the safety of using bird toys with sugar gliders. I've done some basic searches and see that, like our parrots, sugar gliders can get in trouble with frayed/loose pieces of fabric and caught up in wires, if used. But I wanted to check in with those of you who may have more expertise and advice in this area than I do. Are different types of wood a concern for sugar gliders just as they are for parrots? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I have looked at sugar gliders before, but I was going to build them a custom enclosure with mesh and acrylic, and set it up with natural branches etc. rather than toys. A lot of the online adverts with glider for sale showed bird toys in their cages, but most of them were wooden ladders and wooden and rope toys ( with the rope ends capped).

I don't know who has sugar gliders on here, so can't really ask for help!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Try looking at glider central for advice, or direct your potential customer there before committing to any possibly dangerous toys.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Try looking at glider central for advice, or direct your potential customer there before committing to any possibly dangerous toys.
Perfect! Thank you so much!

Reactions: Ali

ariana&mia

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ari
I had and bred gliders for many years and never had a problem with using different types of toys. Many people do seem to stay with the fabric toys and fabric cage setups. In my experience they never seemed to play with their toys but also never tore any apart so if the toy is deemed safe for birds I’d probably consider it safe for gliders.

Reactions: Ali