• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sugar cane for a perch

Don

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Don
Our local grocery store carries sugar cane sticks that are about 1 inch in diameter and about 3 feet long-I am considering using this to make a perch for my double yellow head amazon.I have done some research concerning safety,but have not arrived at a comfort level to go ahead and use it.I think something like this could be very entertaining for her to chew on,BUT I don't want to make any mistakes that could be harmful to my bird.Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Thank you:
Don :ittalks!:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi Don, I dont think that would be good, coz sugar cane is just that...sugar.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am against it too...chances are he will chew it to pieces and ingest all that sugar..not good

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sugar cane also rots and develops mold so quickly.

Don

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Don
Thank you for replies.After doing more research,I found there are many sites that sell it,but it is kept frozen and the users claim their birds just love chewing on it,however.what I saw in the local store was just raw sticks about 3 foot long [not frozen] Sugar Cane - Natural & Nutritious Parrot Treat is one of many sites that sell it.
Thanks again for your feedback-I think that this is one of those controversial matters that leaves me skeptical and I will not chance it,my parrot means too much to me.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
You sounds like an excellent parront, and welcome to the forum!! :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I buy refrigerated sugar cane and split it into quarters, then freeze it and give it out as treats. My quarter splits are about a quarter to half an inch wide and only four inches long. Just a treat and only once a month. They absolutely love it! When I used to have my Amazons, they loved it and the cock would get really, really aggressive after having his treat. So, yes, they can get a sugar high.

But a limited treat will not hurt them. Plus, they have no teeth to get cavities in!