• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suddenly doesn't like fresh food

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Mercury for the past week hasn't been the happiest eating fresh foods. I'm a little confused about it since he was eating well for so long, I stopped giving him fruit everyday (low sugary fruits) and now he barely touches his food. He'll eat pellets and forage for treats but refuses veggies and fruits. For reference, on a daily basis, he diet looks like this:

- collard greens
- kale
- bell peppers (assorted colors, mostly red and green)
- blue berries, blackberries, raspberries (used to be everyday but ive cut it out for the most part completely)
- carrots
- broccoli (he decided he doesn't like it at the moment)
- cauliflower
- zucchini
- cucumber (every once and a while)

I'm starting to get worried he might need a trip to the vet, but I figured I'd come for advice here since I'm not sure if it's that serious. Another thing to add, his hormones lately have been pretty bad again and he basically just wants to frick everything.

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Mercury for the past week hasn't been the happiest eating fresh foods. I'm a little confused about it since he was eating well for so long, I stopped giving him fruit everyday (low sugary fruits) and now he barely touches his food. He'll eat pellets and forage for treats but refuses veggies and fruits. For reference, on a daily basis, he diet looks like this:

- collard greens
- kale
- bell peppers (assorted colors, mostly red and green)
- blue berries, blackberries, raspberries (used to be everyday but ive cut it out for the most part completely)
- carrots
- broccoli (he decided he doesn't like it at the moment)
- cauliflower
- zucchini
- cucumber (every once and a while)

I'm starting to get worried he might need a trip to the vet, but I figured I'd come for advice here since I'm not sure if it's that serious. Another thing to add, his hormones lately have been pretty bad again and he basically just wants to frick everything.
also sometimes he gets like this when his nails are too overgrown for some reason ive noticed, we're getting them cut tmr tho !

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Are you offering him the same foods every day? Are they frozen and thawed, kept in the fridge, or done fresh daily?

Sometimes they just get picky or bored!

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Are you offering him the same foods every day? Are they frozen and thawed, kept in the fridge, or done fresh daily?

Sometimes they just get picky or bored!
everything has to be frozen after i prep it so it doesn’t go bad! what do you think i should do to encourage him to eat the fresh food again ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
everything has to be frozen after i prep it so it doesn’t go bad! what do you think i should do to encourage him to eat the fresh food again ?
You can try to mix in fresh stuff daily, or make two different batches of chop so that you can rotate between them.

For picky birds, making a small batch that only lasts a few days also usually helps

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
You can try to mix in fresh stuff daily, or make two different batches of chop so that you can rotate between them.

For picky birds, making a small batch that only lasts a few days also usually helps
so you think this isn't something serious and he's just picky? I got a bit worried

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My cockatiel would routinely go on vegetable strikes and I was constantly having to switch vegetables around. I probably switched up what I gave him like every 5-7 days. I think often they do just get bored.