• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suddenly aggressive towards family members, advice needed

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
In the past few days, Crouton has become more aggressive towards my family. I don't know what caused this, but he seems very defensive and will spread his wings and lung if a family member asks him to step up. Is there anything I can do to stop this? He doesn't do this to me as much, and whenever someone picks him up, he will try to fly/climb to the front of my shirt/on my shoulder. When it is time to put him back into his cage, I will try to get him off, and he will gently bite me. I don't want him to get hurt. Should I let him not be on me for a few days? Is it just a phase that will pass?

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Is it possible that one of your family members isn't as diligent about voluntary, non forced, interactions with Crouton as you? Is your behaviour different with Crouton when your family is around? Is the 1:1 routine you have with Crouton changed (interfered with) when your family is around? Are they around more, or are you around less?

Those are all rhetorical, but are offered as examples of the dynamics to consider with the first part of what you're describing.

Try to think of things from Crouton's perspective.

Determining a potential trigger, would determine the right course of action (example - family, or family member, needs to be trained, or they need to not interact with Crouton).

... try to get him off, and he will gently bite me.
For this part, it may be related to the aggression, but it may simply be Crouton giving you gentle (appropriate) feedback that he doesn't really want to go back in his cage. I wouldn't consider that problematic by itself, unless it escalates, but you could try inserting another activity between your shoulder and the cage (so it's not such a big jump between where he wants to be - your shoulder - and where he doesn't want to be - the cage). Off your shoulder for a treat first, or neutral perch, for example, and then the cage.

Overall, I'd focus on positive interactions where Crouton isn't displaying aggression, to ensure you and he maintain your healthy relationship, and that may offer clues while troubleshooting his relationship with your family (and theirs with him).

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He also could be hormonal too.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Crouton is about 15 weeks old.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has anything changed in the house? A disruption in the routine, a new person, or a family member moving out? Many birds thrive on routine and stability so something changing can really throw them off.

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
Has anything changed in the house? A disruption in the routine, a new person, or a family member moving out? Many birds thrive on routine and stability so something changing can really throw them off.
Nothing has changed since we brought him home, he has just been a little bit aggressive for the past few days. I think it is just hormones, I turned off the lights a bit earlier last night.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John