• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suddenly afraid of everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy_Bird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lisa
Izzy has suddenly developed the african grey phobia it seems. My little girl who was not afraid of anything is petrified of every new object she encounters, and don't even THINK about putting a new toy in or near her cage! She has a favorite toy which she has just about destroyed, so I replaced it with an identical one yesterday. She went to the bottom of her cage and stood there with one eye looking up at it. I left it there thinking that maybe after a little time she would be ok, but I sat next to the cage so she would know I was there. After quite awhileI finally removed it, and she was back to her happy self.

She was clipped as a baby by her breeder, and finally is fully flighted. I don't know if this sudden lack of confidence has anything to do with her flying or not. That really doesn't make sense does it? Is this just a grey phobia thing?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Lisa Izzy is still very young. Dont think she has become phobic, it is normal for them to be afraid of new things. Some things I can give to Carlos right away and others..forget it. I tried putting a new perch in his cage the other day..plain old cageput perch. He did not move from where he was for a couple hours so I said "do you want me to take this perch out?" So I did, and sure enough as soon as I did he was fine. This may just be a new facet of her personality that you arent used to but I assure you it is quite normal.

Izzy_Bird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lisa
Thanks Pat! Everyday is a new day with Izzy lol. I'm never sure what the mood of the day will be. Sometimes I wonder if I baby her too much - but she IS my baby :) she even has a perch way down at the bottom of her cage so she can be a my level when I am sitting on the couch and she is in her cage lol.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
She was clipped as a baby by her breeder, and finally is fully flighted. I don't know if this sudden lack of confidence has anything to do with her flying or not. That really doesn't make sense does it? Is this just a grey phobia thing?

Unfortunately, it could very may be because she wasn't properly fledge :(

Many birds, not just Greys, although African Greys seem to be very known for phobias, but if they are not flighted or not allowed to be flighted and experience new things and become confident when they are young, they start to develop phobias and lack of confidence as they get older.:(:hug8:

Since she is fully flighted, does she fly?

Last edited:

Izzy_Bird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lisa
She does fly...but has just started and is definitely not doing well in the landing department. She only seems to fly when something scares her - not just for the fun of flying.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Leroy and Scooby my two Greys have their phobias. Never show them a hose pipe, step ladder or anything in certain colours such as red. They will go bolistic, and crash around their cages as if a crowd of demons are after them.
New items such as perches and toys I leave lying around for when they are out and about to get used to seeing and then introduce one at a time into their cage. They ignore it at best or shy away from it for awhile and then suddenly it is better than sliced bread!
The time to be concerned is if she gets too twitchy and scared of her own shadow it can be a symptom of a low calcium count and if allowed to get worse will end in seizures etc. So it is a good thing to note what is causing this and why. Good luck.:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Lisa she will get better. When Carlos was a baby he was clipped at the pet store :( He has never been clipped again. He didnt fly much either at first...BUT once he started he got better and better. He is an awesome flyer now. He can maneuver in the air and is very very agile. She will practice on her own and her confidence will build as she gets better with it.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Yeah I agree. It can take some time for them to get their confidence up in the Flying Department. But typically once they do, they aren't afraid of anything:cool1:

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Yeah I agree. It can take some time for them to get their confidence up in the Flying Department. But typically once they do, they aren't afraid of anything:cool1:
Actually, they may remain afraid of some things but the difference is that they have the means to get far away from what frightens them when they have their wings. This alone may result in them being braver than before.

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Both my greys have their phobias as well. I have a perch I have been trying to get in Luna's cage for almost a month now. She has always been fearful of new things since she was a baby. It takes her forever to get use to new things. I have been moving that perch nearer her cage all this time. Quincy Jones has his fears as well. Although he seems to be not as bad as Luna. My other two birds could care less. Put it up, I am going to have at it..lol It just takes time with Greys for some reason. I have always wondered why they are more prone to being so over cautious that other birds their size.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Have you tried clicker training and/or teaching her to target (I'd offer this to anyone with any pet that is fearful of new things)? Teaching a bird to target can be a great tool and make introducing new objects much less stressful and scary on everyone, in addition to quicker and easier.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Actually, they may remain afraid of some things but the difference is that they have the means to get far away from what frightens them when they have their wings. This alone may result in them being braver than before.

Thats why I used the word "typically", as yes a bird with wings, if afraid can actually fly away comfortably (especially if they know how to fly, they can land with grace and not get her).:) Pro-fledging and learning to fly is very important along with not force or hard weaning :) Very important.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree that being able to "fly away" when afraid is awesome!! This applies to both of my parrots.:hehe: My Emma is afraid of my Miele vacuum. Before I go to get it .. I will announce that it's "vacuum time" and off she flies to another room . She doesn't like to be in the same room as the vacuum but she doesn't mind supervising as I use it.. as long as she's in a "separate" room.:lol:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I agree that being able to "fly away" when afraid is awesome!! This applies to both of my parrots.:hehe: My Emma is afraid of my Miele vacuum. Before I go to get it .. I will announce that it's "vacuum time" and off she flies to another room . She doesn't like to be in the same room as the vacuum but she doesn't mind supervising as I use it.. as long as she's in a "separate" room.:lol:
:rofl:

Djuna

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
Oh goodness, the new RED vacuum cleaner instills fear into my poor little GCC, she is off flying to wherever as soon it comes out of its cupboard :lol:

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
My 5 year old grey has phobias also. Mainly with changing toys, but most especially, changing out her cage. I bought her a new beautiful cage, same color, different design, and she freaked. Kept new cage, but went and bought another cage exactly like her old one and now she's a happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.