• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sudden weakening of legs in birds

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hi there, my senior lovebird is doing well and had recovered from neurological issue of head tilted and circling back in feb.
Bird with neurological issue (Urgent - Bird with neurological issue, stoke? Poisioning?)

However I noticed that he will on and off be twitching his wings and moving his head while sleeping. The vet said to take note of possible stroke.

So the day before he was sleeping and woke up with weakening of his legs. He could perch but stumbled to. His legs are cold to touch and he is constantly bitting his legs as if he was having some nerves pain.

Prior to this he was having his chronic vomiting and we found bacteria in his crop, was given 10 days of baytril. As I couldn’t find any vet that was available th I gave him another dose of baytril as well as calcium. By night time his legs somehow gained energy and he could perch better. Not sure if the calcium or the baytril helps.

The following day we went to see another vet, not his usual vet and that he found feather mites in his feather and we are given mites spray(though I have not use it yet). The vet did not explain why he is having a weak leg…

After the stressful event at the vet, his feet seemed to be getting weaker. And today, his feet are back to day 1, where he struggle to perch and are cold to the touch.Today morning I gave him meloxicam, and night time I gave him baytril and calcium.

I would think that it is something like ataxia. He now can perch but struggles to move through his perch, he would need to use his beak to stable :/ as a result he is losing sleep….

I tried to remove his perch but he wouldn’t stand still, he will try to climb the side of his perch.

Any idea what is happening to my bird? If it was a neurological damage, what can I do to help him? Will calcium and vitamin b supplements helps? He’s on a full seed diet with supplements dripped into his water so there’s a very high chance that he have some nutritional deficiency

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. @Hankmacaw would you be able to give me any advise?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Even with 25 years of experience with very ill birds,I do not medicate without my vet's approval. I think it would be better if you didn't.

Your bird's symptoms could be due to several different illnesses. With these small birds tumors or swelling in the abdomen can cause weakness/paralysis in the legs due to pressure on the nerves. You need a good vet to diagnose his problem.