• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sudden death

shzusuziq

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nancy
I just bought a Parrotlet and brought him home on Saturday. He was fine all Sunday. Monday morning I noticed he was just sleeping on his perch all day. He started fluffing up, so I moved him to his small cage and put a heating pad nearby. He died Monday night around 11. I'm too nervous to get another bird, I plan on scrubbing his big cage with soap and water. What else should I do? I'm hoping the person I bought him from will give me at least a partial refund....

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Did this bird have a vet checkup before his death? If you have his body still, take him to the vet for a necropsy. The necropsy can sometimes provide answers as to why a bird died, if there was perhaps an illness or an environmental factor. Also, I would suggest using a good, bird-safe disinfectant like F10 just to make sure any nasties are gone.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@taxidermynerd

Necropsy is only viable if the body is immediately kept refrigerated.
So sorry for your loss .
You could possibly return the diseased bird to where you purchased.
If they have a wellness guarentee, for a replacement or refunded for you loss.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss. If you get a bird from the same breeder, I would ask for a wellness check first. It sounds like the bird was sick when you got him. Birds mask their illness and sometimes the stress of a new home can escalate things. Have you checked to make sure there weren't any environmental factors too just to be sure? But I suspect illness...

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Did this bird have a vet checkup before his death? If you have his body still, take him to the vet for a necropsy. The necropsy can sometimes provide answers as to why a bird died, if there was perhaps an illness or an environmental factor. Also, I would suggest using a good, bird-safe disinfectant like F10 just to make sure any nasties are gone.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
I'm sorry for your loss. I can personally say a necropsy helped me find peace when my cockatiel suddenly passed.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
We're there any harsh chemicals, perfumes, smoke in your house? I'm so sorry you lost your little bird:(

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I'm so sorry for your loss. If at all possible I would get a necropsy done, just to be sure of what happened and to have some peace of mind and closure.