• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sudden death

TonyN

Checking out the neighborhood
Last spring we adopted a sun conure. He seemed to be healthy and happy once settled. He was out on pitch and stated showing breathing distress. Within 5 minutes he died. Had to assume he had a heart issue or something underlying.
Well, no longer is that our thought.
We got a baby turquoise green cheek shortly after. We have had him since. Very healthy and happy. Till yesterday
He was in his cage in dining room chattering away, had been quiet for a few when I heard him fall or jump which is normal . He plays a lot. But he started squawking and was afraid he was stuck or hurt. He was in bottom of cage and having a problem breathing. I got him out and held him . Kept him calm but he died in about 5 minutes. Wheezing . Just couldn’t breath which is exactly what happen to the sun conure. We decided to have house checked by fire dept. for CO2. No signs. There is a day Lilly and a hyacinth in dining room where he was. Is it possible that breathing those smells or pollen could be n issue. We are heartbroken and at a loss! 2BB58E7E-9F75-41E0-B0F0-2E321D8E7B1D.png

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This is a double tragedy. I am truly sorry for this loss and hope you find out what exactly is the problem. Please let us know. Have you checked furnace and a/c units? I guess so if the FD was there. Next would be your cooking pans. Any household sprays like Fabreeze used?

TonyN

Thank you. We are careful with Teflon and scented anything. Beginning to believe it is the Day Lilly pollen. Not sure if that is possible. I know if they get into and chew on day Lille’s it is toxic. Never dreamt pollen would be. Guess it makes sense

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
I am so sorry, that sounds terrible! I hope that you can feel better and that all of your other pets/birds will stay safe!!

TonyN

Thank you. Would it be premature to put out a warning to all regarding day Lilly pollen. Also have a hyacinth but did not have it with first bird.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry for your losses. Is it possible that some of the pollen could have gotten on his food? I believe even the pollen is poisonous if ingested.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Can you take the bird to a vet and have a necropsy done?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
Just wanted to say I am really sorry for your loss, i feel for you! :sadhug:

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like something airborne, it could easily have been the pollen, smoke, cleaner, and so many other possibilities. I hope you can find the cause!

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
I'm so sorry, it could have been anything. :sadhug2: :sorrow:

TonyN

Can you take the bird to a vet and have a necropsy done?
Was our only bird. I think we are done with them for now. About the only thing it could be was the Lilly. Was about 12 feet away. Was about same time last year when we adopted sun conure. Had Jax, this one for almost a year with no issue. Must be the time of year for pollen. Word needs to be spread. Such a sad loss. Feel terrible but it was instant. Max 10 minutes from first sign till stopped breathing

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
I’m so sorry for your loss :sad1:

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I'm so sorry that you lost your friend. It is very difficult to understand. You gotta be strong.