• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sudden Change

Perphora22

Checking out the neighborhood
I just adopted a young conure (still learning to "step up". Hes been extremely friendly, loves attention, and is always wanting to be pet and scratched under the beak. Hes never been shy or skittish and in fact cries out if I leave the room for too long. Well I had an emergency after work the other day and was gone for for about two days. I usually come home from work, take him out and bond with him for a couple of hours. As you can probably guess I wasn't able to do that. When I came back hes been shy, quiet, and not as loving. No head bobbing, whistling or other signs of affection he showed before. Is it because I left or could it be something more serious like getting sick or stress? I'm just worried about the sudden personality change. Please help. What do you think I could do to help my conure?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How long have you had him?

How long since you have been back?

He's likely salty you left him and worried if you will leave again. They usually get over it once their routine is back to normal.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
He could be angry at you for leaving just give him lots of extra attention and hopefully he will be fine in a few days.

Perphora22

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks for replying! I'm just worried since I've only had him for a month and want him to be as happy as possible. I've been back about 3 days and hes still letting me pet him but shies away from any little noise when he wouldn't before. Hes also really quiet when hes usually very vocal about what he wants. Hopefully you're right and I'm just overreacting.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Did he have fresh food and water during this time you were away? If not, there may be some cause for concern.

Also, not unheard of for birds to act differently when their humans go away. They may easily bond with someone else and prefer them over the person they were previously bonded to. I haven't had that issue, but other people have had it happen to them.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did he have fresh food and water during this time you were away? If not, there may be some cause for concern.

Also, not unheard of for birds to act differently when their humans go away. They may easily bond with someone else and prefer them over the person they were previously bonded to. I haven't had that issue, but other people have had it happen to them.
You read my mind...