• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sudden blood on wing?!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you do not know what to do, how to do it and where to hold you can rip the skin pretty bad so I would rather the vet advise you to do that if they feel it is safe for you to do so.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
Ok you need to stop the bleeding again and I dare say you will have to stay up with her till the vet instructs you on what to do. I am guessing covering it is only going to cause further problems so I do not think that is the best idea. I'm sorry but at least it is a slow bleed not a fast one.
I think it stopped again now but idk how to get her to not preen.
She just keeps doing it.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
If you do not know what to do, how to do it and where to hold you can rip the skin pretty bad so I would rather the vet advise you to do that if they feel it is safe for you to do so.
I tried to get her into her bed for a bit so I could lay down for 5 lol but she refused to chill in there.
Idk what to do to keep her from preening the area. I'm about ready to just make a little collar like they do for pluckers haha

Reactions: Ali

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would just pull it with the tweezers and be done with it. Grip it at the base with the tweezers. Hold the skin on either side with two fingers on your other hand. Pull in one quick motion with the grain of the feather. It should come right out. There may be a little bleeding after but it should be easy to stop. I know it's scary but it's not actually hard to do.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
I would just pull it with the tweezers and be done with it. Grip it at the base with the tweezers. Hold the skin on either side with two fingers on your other hand. Pull in one quick motion with the grain of the feather. It should come right out. There may be a little bleeding after but it should be easy to stop. I know it's scary but it's not actually hard to do.
I'm just scared of hurting her on accident
I've heard a wing can get broken it not careful.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It won't happen if you hold her wing with one hand and pull the feather with the other. I think you can do it. But it's up to you what will be less stressful for her.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you are going to attempt to pull it be very sure of what you are doing. I would also check if you have some needle nose pliers instead of normal beauty tweezers as they may not be strong enough to grip it unless they are really good tweezers.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Im off to bed now so good luck with what you choose to do and keep us updated :)

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you are going to attempt to pull it be very sure of what you are doing. I would also check if you have some needle nose pliers instead of normal beauty tweezers as they may not be strong enough to grip it unless they are really good tweezers.
Tweezers are fine for littles. They're actually my preference. :)

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
Unfortunately the beauty ones are the only kind that I have.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
Actually I do have some pliers.
I'm so tired that I misread that as needle nose tweezers. Sorry

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Actually I do have some pliers.
I'm so tired that I misread that as needle nose tweezers. Sorry
If you can get a good grip on it and you are comfortable and confident at following enigmas instructions for removing it then go for it. From my understanding it has to come out anyway if it is broken and it does not matter who does it as long as it is done right.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The hardest thing about it is getting past your own anxiety/squeamishness. The actual pulling is not difficult, I promise. Especially in a spot like that on top of the wing rather than a primary flight feather.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
The hardest thing about it is getting past your own anxiety/squeamishness. The actual pulling is not difficult, I promise. Especially in a spot like that on top of the wing rather than a primary flight feather.
I'll probably call the vet just to double check and do it if they say I'm okay to.
What exactly should I do once it has been removed?
I'm slightly freaked out by it bleeding a bunch.

After it's done, will it be safe to let her and myself sleep a few hours or should I watch her for a while?

Thank you!

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just put corn starch and apply gentle pressure. After it's done then nothing else should be needed.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
If you can get a good grip on it and you are comfortable and confident at following enigmas instructions for removing it then go for it. From my understanding it has to come out anyway if it is broken and it does not matter who does it as long as it is done right.
Just put corn starch and apply gentle pressure. After it's done then nothing else should be needed.

Update - The feather is still in. I called the vet and they said about bringing her in and putting her under general anaesthetic to pull it out because it's
That seems a bit odd to me. I've heard anaesthesia can be dangerous sometimes.

Should I just go ahead and do it at home?

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would if she were my bird. But I am not there and I cannot conclusively say what's best for you to do.