• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sudden blood on wing?!

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
I heard my conure make a noise and so I peeked on her, took her out to give a kiss before putting her back to bed and noticed recently dried blood on the top of the wing.
I'm not sure what happened but I'm freaking out a bit, any clue what happened? What exactly should I do?

She had blood inside her beak which leads me to assume maybe she did it herself?

I can try to get better photos if needed and once I get her cleaned to see it better.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is it possible she damaged or plucked a feather? Is she still bleeding or has that stopped?

Reactions: Ali

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is it still bleeding?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It is best you do not pull it on your own unless you know when and how to do it or you can cause bigger problems. So for now we just need to know the bleeding has stopped and if not then we need to get that stopped.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
It is best you do not pull it on your own unless you know when and how to do it or you can cause bigger problems. So for now we just need to know the bleeding has stopped and if not then we need to get that stopped.
It still seems like it's bleeding.
I have corn starch? I tried to rinse the blood earlier to see what was going on when I realized it was a broken blood feather so should I just put the corn starch on?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Birds clot slower than humans I believe so you need to help the blood stop flowing. Sometimes you can manage by just placing firm pressure on either side of the wing to pinch the broken area and stop the bleeding. You can grab a good bit of cornstarch if you have it handy and put it where the blood is coming from and hold it on with firm pressure.... the cornstarch will help clot it a bit faster but you will still need to hold it for a while- like about ten mins. Not just a sprinkle of flour- a good amount of it.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
No more water. The water will knock the clot out and make it bleed again.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
Birds clot slower than humans I believe so can you need to help the blood from flowing. Sometimes you can manage by just placing firm pressure on either side of the wing to pinch the broken area and stop the bleeding. You can grab a good bit of cornstarch if you have it handy and put it where the blood is coming from and hold it on with firm pressure.... the cornstarch will help clot it a bit faster but you will still need to hold it for a while- like about ten mins. Not just a sprinkle of flour- a good amount of it.
I cant get ger ti stau still

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You will need to towel her I would say.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
3mins 27 secs might be helpful. Try to pinch either side of the wing instead of pulling at the feather shaft.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
He shows you how to hold the bird, pull the wing out to find the feather and where to put pressure

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You may find it easier with a second pair of hands so I am hoping you have someone to help you.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would keep pressure on it for a few minutes longer anyway to make sure it has stopped. When it has stopped you keep her quiet and keep a check on her. If you can, you will want to minimize the chances she will disturb the clot.
You will need to call a vet to pull the quill unless you get really good step by step instructions, are confident and are able to do it yourself- I personally would go to the vet unless the vet talked me through it on the phone.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am not sure what time it is there but can you call a vet? You will be best to see one anyway to remove the shaft.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
I am not sure what time it is there but can you call a vet? You will be best to see one anyway to remove the shaft.
It's not actaully split.

It's almost 5 am here.

Can I use tweezers to pinch it?
The shaft is closed at the end from me pinching at it