• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sudden blood on wing?!

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
She won't. The issue is that blood feathers can't really clot because there isn't a skin layer in the feather shaft to close. So having a broken blood feather is sort of like having a phlebotomy needle hanging out of your vein. Once you pull the feather, her skin can heal. The most important part is that you get the tweezers as close to her skin as possible because you need to get the whole rest of the shaft fragment out. You may see a little bit of bleeding from her skin afterward but corn starch and gentle pressure will stop it.

Reactions: mak

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
She won't. The issue is that blood feathers can't really clot because there isn't a skin layer in the feather shaft to close. So having a broken blood feather is sort of like having a phlebotomy needle hanging out of your vein. Once you pull the feather, her skin can heal. The most important part is that you get the tweezers as close to her skin as possible because you need to get the whole rest of the shaft fragment out. You may see a little bit of bleeding from her skin afterward but corn starch and gentle pressure will stop it.
I was chatting with a friend who has dealt with blood feather on her birds and she mentioned just leaving it alone but keeping an eye on it.
It's closed right now and I haven't seen new blood since last night around 3 - 3:30 am.
She said since it's a smaller follicle, it might just heal on it's on and if it looks worse tomorrow, I'll head to the vet.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, that's reasonable too. It won't heal though, it will eventually fall out. That feather is dead and a new one will come in its place.

Reactions: tka

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
Okay, that's reasonable too. It won't heal though, it will eventually fall out. That feather is dead and a new one will come in its place.
Yeah! I got that part! I'm fine with it falling out so long it isn't a serious issue.