• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sudden anxiety in Raiju

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Raijus been anxious this week, and I'm not sure why. There could be a few reasons, like I haven't been spending as much time with them as I usually do (still several hours a day), my mom woke them up in the morning a few days ago (the day his anxiety started), the room is a little more empty because we're in the middle of moving, there's been a couple of storms, he's molting, I'm just not sure. But he won't let me take him out of the cage right away anymore. He is usually ready to jump right into my hand when I open the door, but now he bites me when I try. I'll give him a few minutes and he'll start to say "Good morning!" and that's when I'm allowed to get him. He'll also sit there and just...vibrate. Eyes will be wide and he sits there shivering like he's scared or anxious about something even if nothing is happening. He's also been way more quiet. He still talks, but its at a much lower volume, and he doesn't scream as much as he used to. He just looks so scared half the time.

Is there anything I can do to help him? I feel really bad, especially since we're moving out on Wednesday, it's only going to get more stressful for him.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Do you think he might be sick? Birds hide their illnesses really well. Something could be stressing him out.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Do you think he might be sick? Birds hide their illnesses really well. Something could be stressing him out.
I don't really think so, he's been seriously ill before and he never was anxious, he was more lethargic and not wanting to do anything. He still wants to do stuff and be included, he just seems really scared half the time. He has bits where he's completely fine, zipping around as usual

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
we're in the middle of moving
I'd just try to keep things as normal as possible while you guys get through your move (the super mega cage rearrangement). You could try adding a favourite toy to keep him occupied, but he knows something's going on, so you can continue to be his rock by behaving how he expects.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I have to agree. There's so much happening all at once he just doesn't understand. Do all you can to make things appear normal but I don't think he'll actually calm much until you all settle into the new home.
How is Phoenix handling all this?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I have to agree. There's so much happening all at once he just doesn't understand. Do all you can to make things appear normal but I don't think he'll actually calm much until you all settle into the new home.
How is Phoenix handling all this?
Phoenix has always been super chill, but he's more bonded to me than Raiju is. Phoenix doesn't mind what happens or where we go as long as I'm still there.

Raiju is doing a lot better today, actually coming out of his cage more and isn't super scared like he had been the past couple of days, but he is still skittish. I hope he handles the move okay

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Moving has gone well! They both handled the long drive just fine, and they were immediately exploring the new cage. They were both very hesitant to fly around the room, but they let me bring them around and show them the place. After about an hour they started flying, they’re still figuring out landing spots in the room and honestly providing more will definitely help them (I’ll do it as soon as I’m able) but overall it’s a success!

Raijū is still anxious but doesn’t seem to be as anxious as he was last week, I think having all the stuff back in the room made him feel better. Phoenix seems almost unphased now

They’re molting, don’t judge their feathers too hard:lol:

7CFFB1CD-E825-41B8-B59D-04DD64AAF2EC.jpeg 3A25CF12-007D-45F9-B750-6902CCA4E496.jpeg