• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sudden aggression of my 5.5 year old Cockateil

Vittror

Jogging around the block
So if I understand it correctly you left your bird alone in his cage for 3 days straight, without company (someone talking to him)? Without him getting fresh food and fresh water?
Looking back at this post I realize this is not really an okay post.
I shot straight into emotional town and straight into making assumptions, even though I tried to stay neutral.
And that isn't fair to anyone.
So for that I'm sorry. I think I won't be editing the post unless a mod thinks it better to do so.

I would like to rephrase my last post into:

- How do you take care for your bird when you are away? Is someone else taking care of him so he gets fresh food, water and company?
- How often are you away for a longer time? Like more than a day I mean
- What is your cage setup, how big is it? Can you post a photo please?

i can’t believe my sweet girl is actually a mean boy
Still a sweet bird only probably a boy :D

Graciesmum

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Natalie
Umm yeh. She’s a bird.... not a baby. She has plenty of food and water....yes she’d probably like company but that’s not always possible. She’s a very spoilt and loved bird. She’s far from neglected
I have a job and a life.
It appears that I probably don’t fit in here.
Thanks to all of you that provided helpful advice and support

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Umm yeh. She’s a bird.... not a baby. She has plenty of food and water....yes she’d probably like company but that’s not always possible. She’s a very spoilt and loved bird. She’s far from neglected
I have a job and a life.
It appears that I probably don’t fit in here.
Thanks to all of you that provided helpful advice and support
Don’t go, I thought everyone here was just trying nicely to help? I was wondering if the sunflower seeds might be playing some part? Their extra fat and nutrients might trigger hormones. Extra nutrients could make your bird feel like it’s a good time to raise babies.

Graciesmum

Real Name
Natalie
Looking back at this post I realize this is not really an okay post.
I shot straight into emotional town and straight into making assumptions, even though I tried to stay neutral.
And that isn't fair to anyone.
So for that I'm sorry. I think I won't be editing the post unless a mod thinks it better to do so.

I would like to rephrase my last post into:

- How do you take care for your bird when you are away? Is someone else taking care of him so he gets fresh food, water and company?
- How often are you away for a longer time? Like more than a day I mean
- What is your cage setup, how big is it? Can you post a photo please?

Still a sweet bird only probably a boy :D
No ...it wasn’t an ok post.....and I’ve only just seen your additional post.
I came here for help and support.....not to be made feel like I’m neglecting my bird...
I’m pleased you later apologised for your first post . No hard feelings

Vittror

Jogging around the block
I really never meant to make you feel like you were neglecting your bird.
I'm glad you came to this forum for help and support.
This community is full of people who love birds and want to help out where possible.

What I tried to do (and went in the wrong way) was to try to get a better picture of the situation with your bird.
The reason I asked you in my second post those questions was because although I don't think it's the main reason for the behaviour of your bird, improving those points (if possible, maybe it's not necessary!) might make things better.
I really don't know because I don't know you and your bird, but those things might be worth looking at.

From my own experience with my own past birds I sometimes wish someone would have given advice or recommendations or just tips to do something different or maybe even better.
The only thing I can do for now with my own birds is to learn from the past and try to do better in the future.

I'm not really experienced with hormonal behaviour in birds and I think the others gave lots of of good advice already, so I don't really have anything to add to that.

Graciesmum

Real Name
Natalie
Update on Gracie
I know you guys have said she’s a boy. I accept that but because she’s almost 6 I can’t start calling her a boy

OMG.... I am struggling big time with the nasty bird Gracie become in the last 2 weeks.
So we have tried some of your suggestions. I’ve tried to get her to sleep more(covering her cage for couple of hours during the middle of the day ), removing sunflower seeds from her diet and trying to stop her pleasuring herself on her cage ( placing a sheet over the offending area of the cage )

Nothing is helping. If I walk too close to her cage she hisses at me and if I try to stop and talk to her she will fly at me and attack me.
When she did it yesterday I put her straight back in the cage and covered her. I hoped she would just go to sleep....she didn’t ! She used the time to chew straight through her wooden ladder ( see attached pic )

She is continually eating and trying to get up really high. She’s been flying up on top of curtains, mirrors and in top cupboards. Seriously.....she is so crazy and mean that I’m actually starting to get scared of her.
She has always been such a loving bird and I’ve often thought I’d never cope if anything ever happened to her.......but the last couple of days I’ve been thinking that I could just open the front door and let her fly away.

Would ithelp if we got her a new cage ? as this is where the offending behaviour happens

Graciesmum

Real Name
Natalie
Update on Gracie
I know you guys have said she’s a boy. I accept that but because she’s almost 6 I can’t start calling her a boy

OMG.... I am struggling big time with the nasty bird Gracie become in the last 2 weeks.
So we have tried some of your suggestions. I’ve tried to get her to sleep more(covering her cage for couple of hours during the middle of the day ), removing sunflower seeds from her diet and trying to stop her pleasuring herself on her cage ( placing a sheet over the offending area of the cage )

Nothing is helping. If I walk too close to her cage she hisses at me and if I try to stop and talk to her she will fly at me and attack me.
When she did it yesterday I put her straight back in the cage and covered her. I hoped she would just go to sleep....she didn’t ! She used the time to chew straight through her wooden ladder ( see attached pic )

She is continually eating and trying to get up really high. She’s been flying up on top of curtains, mirrors and in top cupboards. Seriously.....she is so crazy and mean that I’m actually starting to get scared of her.
She has always been such a loving bird and I’ve often thought I’d never cope if anything ever happened to her.......but the last couple of days I’ve been thinking that I could just open the front door and let her fly away.

Would ithelp if we got her a new cage ? as this is where the offending behaviour happens

Attachments

Graciesmum

Real Name
Natalie
I think i also forgotten to mention. My teenage son is her favourite person and she adores him . He lives with me week on, week off. This however is not a new arrangement. He’s been doing that since before we got Gracie

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The top does not look like it should open like that...

Do not give him access to mirrors.

A wider cage *may* be beneficial

I would highly recommend more toys and foraging opportunities.

Reactions: tka

Graciesmum

Real Name
Natalie
The top does not look like it should open like that...

Do not give him access to mirrors.

A wider cage *may* be beneficial

I would highly recommend more toys and foraging opportunities.
Both sides of the cage open. We only ever open one side at a time though and she spends much of her time up there.

There are mirrors in this house that she regularly likes to spend time at. but none in the cage.
She’s so aggressive at the moment that I don’t feel I can let her out of the cage. Even walking past the cage she will hiss at me.. she was like this yesterday too and as soon as I let her out she flew straight at me and attacked me.

iIs it ok to not let her out until this passes ?
I will look into a new cage and more toys.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
She’s so aggressive at the moment that I don’t feel I can let her out of the cage. Even walking past the cage she will hiss at me.. she was like this yesterday too and as soon as I let her out she flew straight at me and attacked me.
If he's being that aggressive, I'd honestly recommend keeping him caged! That said, I would still recommend more toys, foraging opportunities and *TRAINING* through the cage bars! Simple training such as target training and station training. This will help to focus some of that energy into something more positive! :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Cockatiels usually like toys they can shred apart. Or soft wood like balsa.... yours is an alligator though! I got some great toys recently from @Macawnutz but we have other vendors on this forum too, if you’re in the US.

It is perfectly okay not to take your bird out when it is hormonal! I’m going through the same with one of mine.

You can search the forum for foraging ideas if you are new to that concept. I hope you can help your baby to settle back down!

Graciesmum

Real Name
Natalie
If he's being that aggressive, I'd honestly recommend keeping him caged! That said, I would still recommend more toys, foraging opportunities and *TRAINING* through the cage bars! Simple training such as target training and station training. This will help to focus some of that energy into something more positive! :)
I will have to do some research on the training as I have no idea about it.
Gracie has always been a bird who has not really known she was a bird and just spent lots of time with humans. She ( he) learned to talk and would go in and out of the cage as she felt like it (except when I was at work ) sadly that’s the extent of the training.
Is 6 not too old to be trained ?

Graciesmum

Real Name
Natalie
Cockatiels usually like toys they can shred apart. Or soft wood like balsa.... yours is an alligator though! I got some great toys recently from @Macawnutz but we have other vendors on this forum too, if you’re in the US.

It is perfectly okay not to take your bird out when it is hormonal! I’m going through the same with one of mine.

You can search the forum for foraging ideas if you are new to that concept. I hope you can help your baby to settle back down!
Hi,
We are in Australia so I only really have eBay or pet shops as options for the toys. I actually looked a few up and found some similar items in the kids toys. She ( he ) tried to attack me when I was putting them in the cage.....
He’s always had a thing about shoes ( and shoe laces) so I’ve also just put an old shoe in the cage...that’s how desperate I am.
I will research the foraging ideas as yes that’s definitely new to us.
Thanks for your advice

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Only 6 years old? With any luck, he could live for 30+ years! Many don't even make it to 20... but the potential for 30 is there!

Birds are never "too old" to learn new behaviors! Might take a little extra time, it might not! It just varies depending on the individual bird and the trainer! ;)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
) sadly that’s the extent of the training.
It’s what worked for you. You don’t have to feel sorry.
Except now you’re in this pickle! I think the training should go rather quick, if you are consistent— little sessions but do them every day.
Monica knows a lot about the training, should you need guidance. :)

Katcat

Hi,
We are in Australia so I only really have eBay or pet shops as options for the toys. I actually looked a few up and found some similar items in the kids toys. She ( he ) tried to attack me when I was putting them in the cage.....
He’s always had a thing about shoes ( and shoe laces) so I’ve also just put an old shoe in the cage...that’s how desperate I am.
I will research the foraging ideas as yes that’s definitely new to us.
Thanks for your advice
Hi there my favorite online stores for toys

www.petshopdirect.com.au
www.petcity.com.au
www.petcircle.com.au

have fun i spend hours doing it! :D

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I actually do not like many of the toys on offer at any of our big chain pet stores.... a lot of what I have bought is not safe. Check this list out of Aussie stores that some of us members like to use Aussie members where do you shop for bird supplies?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Update on Gracie

I wouldn't cover him during the day. That's going to mess his sleep pattern up I think. Increasing sleep to help with hormones, is increasing it at night. So a tiel should get 10-12 hours of sleep. If he is already, then you bump it up by 2 hours for 2 weeks. If he doesn't get that, then try to start doing it. Also, I haven't read all the posts- but sunflower seeds are fine in moderation. They have nutritional value. It's just sometimes if given a choice, that's all they will eat. They are also good to use for training or rewards if he likes. them.

And 6 is young for a tiel! The two tiels I have right now are 21 and 30. :)