• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stupid Bird eats Alfredo Pasta

mango&dex

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haniya
I made some Alfredo Pasta for myself and I was accompanied by my two green cheek conures. I was also making chicken broth so I was going to put a lid on it so neither of my birds would turn into the broth it’s self, while I was doing this I noticed one of my conure Mango eating my Alfredo pasta which consisted of potatoes, onion, parsley, salt, pepper, etc all of which are pretty harmful to birds in general. I believe she took a nibble of some of the potato that was covered in the Alfredo sauce but it could potentially be the onion too. I’m scared that she may get ill or something will happen to her because the pasta itself was pretty high in salt and salt is also very harmful to birds as well. I gave her some water and some seeds and cool cooked pasta hoping it would help wash it down but I’m still very paranoid and need some advice.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
it wil be ok! Mine have stolen foods like this even a tiny piece of oinion abd once garlic. All was ok .

I even checked with my vet, and she said seasoned and cooked foods weren't a big risk. But if I planned on sharing use parrot safe foods.

Obviously you won't feed them thus and prevent in the future. But all will be ok 99.9% sure

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It will be fine. I had a macaw steal and fly through the house with a pork chop once.

I didn't think he was stupid though, I found his successful attempt well played. ;)

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There are various salts in some of the foods birds eat in the wild, like clays. All animals need some salt in their diet. A little bit of extra salt one time shouldn't be harmful.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
My cockatoo stole an entire slice of toast - with salted butter and jam (so salt and A LOT of sugar) - right out of my hand :meh: she obviously got a good mouthful before I took it back, but she was totally fine.

I have a cockatiel that, while I won’t say he’s stupid, he just seems to have five brain cells and three of them are on standby power. So I get it :roflmao:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It will be fine. I had a macaw steal and fly through the house with a pork chop once.

I didn't think he was stupid though, I found his successful attempt well played. ;)
Should have put that in your show! I would have loved to have seen it!

mango&dex

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haniya
as
My cockatoo stole an entire slice of toast - with salted butter and jam (so salt and A LOT of sugar) - right out of my hand :meh: she obviously got a good mouthful before I took it back, but she was totally fine.

I have a cockatiel that, while I won’t say he’s stupid, he just seems to have five brain cells and three of them are on standby power. So I get it :roflmao:
I love her to death!! She is the sweetest bird ever and she loves to snuggle, she almost made me have a heart attack yesterday. She isn’t stupid but like you said what I meant was she essentially has a loss of brain cells so I guess stupid wasn’t the best term to describe her. :rofl:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Should have put that in your show! I would have loved to have seen it!
Korbel.... pretty young when it happened and I had a mess through out the entire house! I don't think he realized the weight at take off. NOW he could haul a size 13 shoe into the air and around some corners but back then we were shocked.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Korbel.... pretty young when it happened and I had a mess through out the entire house! I don't think he realized the weight at take off. NOW he could haul a size 13 shoe into the air and around some corners but back then we were shocked.
Clearly he thought he was a hawk

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Or starving. You know we barely feed anyone here. 

Kovu my dog would say the same. He thinks he's starving but he gets the perfect amount per the vet

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love my bird to death but she is just a bit slow, she went running straight to my cat and got smacked but she fought back
Bear in mind that cats carry bacteria in their mouths that are extremely dangerous for birds. When they groom themselves, their saliva, and with it, the bacteria is transferred to their paws and claws. Even a tiny scratch can introduce the bacteria into your bird's bloodstream and, without prompt veterinary attention and antibiotics, has a high chance of being fatal. I would hate for you to lose your bird in this way.

If your bird doesn't understand that she needs to avoid your cat, you need to think carefully about how you can arrange your space to keep them separate.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Bear in mind that cats carry bacteria in their mouths that are extremely dangerous for birds. When they groom themselves, their saliva, and with it, the bacteria is transferred to their paws and claws. Even a tiny scratch can introduce the bacteria into your bird's bloodstream and, without prompt veterinary attention and antibiotics, has a high chance of being fatal. I would hate for you to lose your bird in this way.

If your bird doesn't understand that she needs to avoid your cat, you need to think carefully about how you can arrange your space to keep them separate.
This is incredibly true.

When I worked at a vet clinic, we saw a lot of small animals who had only the tiniest injury from a cat - like barely a scratch - and the infection it would start would be horrendous.

Every single clinic worker I’ve ever known would take a dog bite over a cat bite, simply because of the infection rate.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I second that @Xoetix I've been bitten by a cat years ago and thankfully was fine but multiple others who've been bit had to go to the hospital and get iv antibiotics and their hands swelled up massively.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I second that @Xoetix I've been bitten by a cat years ago and thankfully was fine but multiple others who've been bit had to go to the hospital and get iv antibiotics and their hands swelled up massively.
I have a friend whose husband was playing with their cat, who got regular vet checks and vaccines and everything, and he was scratched on his leg - he ended up having to go to the hospital because the infection went from 0 to holy crap in a matter of days. Having grown up with cats and still having the scars from playing too rough, I don’t have the first idea how I got so lucky not to have that happen o_O After learning how bad it can get, now I wash immediately and disinfect because I’d rather not play that game

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh same 100%. I'm always saying at work I'd rather get shredded or bitten by a dog than a cat any day. I wash the heck outta every scratch to the extreme