• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stunted or Petite?

Sandra Gibson

Walking the driveway
I have an import DYH Amazon baby around 12-13 weeks old. Name is Wilson (W). W is an hanfed incubator baby from day one. I do not know her sex. I have W about 3 weeks. When W came to me her weight is 320 g, 30-32 cm long and eat some pellets and 20 cc formula twice a day. W was already fledged and can fly when she came to me.
Now W is 335 g also and she eats half cup fruit and vegetable and some cooked beans and cooked whole grain pasta and wallnuts and some pellets. Also consume 10 cc formula at afternoon and 20 cc formula before sleep. Sometimes she do not want afternoon formula. Now W is fully flighted and love to fly and start to say her name. W is playful, eating, poooing, flying and sleeping well. Everything seems normal.
But her weight is under average weights of DYH Amazons that written on forums and websites or articles. I do not know her peak weight before fledging and start to fly. I am worrying about this weight issue. Is W is underweight (stunted) or petite? Is W grow and gain weight more or stay at this weight and long?

View attachment 315306 View attachment 315307 View attachment 315308 View attachment 315309 View attachment 315310
Wilson is Beautiful!

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I have an import DYH Amazon baby around 12-13 weeks old. Name is Wilson (W). W is an hanfed incubator baby from day one. I do not know her sex. I have W about 3 weeks. When W came to me her weight is 320 g, 30-32 cm long and eat some pellets and 20 cc formula twice a day. W was already fledged and can fly when she came to me.
Now W is 335 g also and she eats half cup fruit and vegetable and some cooked beans and cooked whole grain pasta and wallnuts and some pellets. Also consume 10 cc formula at afternoon and 20 cc formula before sleep. Sometimes she do not want afternoon formula. Now W is fully flighted and love to fly and start to say her name. W is playful, eating, poooing, flying and sleeping well. Everything seems normal.
But her weight is under average weights of DYH Amazons that written on forums and websites or articles. I do not know her peak weight before fledging and start to fly. I am worrying about this weight issue. Is W is underweight (stunted) or petite? Is W grow and gain weight more or stay at this weight and long?

View attachment 315306 View attachment 315307 View attachment 315308 View attachment 315309 View attachment 315310
Beautiful DYH, looks quite healthy and in right plumage for being it's young age.
They'll bulk out as they age. Zons are actually prone to being on the high side of their average weight when they get older, and in some cases, over weight.
But you have a beauty there!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I have not much experience with incubator birds but I did see one that was very slow & stunted for its age & I just had too many reservations about its future health & development. to put a deposit. So then Rio an adult in need of a home made his bows...though he does still not like hands & I so wanted to try a baby one day but they too don't all turn out to be cuddly angels anyway!!!

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Incubator hatched chicks can keep pace with the growth rate of parent raised chicks if the breeder knows what they are doing. Particularly in species with slower metabolisms like amazons. If exposed to other juveniles or adults while weaning and fledging, they are likely to turn out just fine. People can monumentally screw up incubator hatched chicks. But that doesn’t mean all or even most are substandard.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Incubator hatched chicks can keep pace with the growth rate of parent raised chicks if the breeder knows what they are doing. Particularly in species with slower metabolisms like amazons. If exposed to other juveniles or adults while weaning and fledging, they are likely to turn out just fine. People can monumentally screw up incubator hatched chicks. But that doesn’t mean all or even most are substandard.
I don't know if Lola was incubator hatched or not but the first time I saw her she was just 7 days old. I don't see any abnormal behavior with her. Her hormonal urges are quite tame. Of course she'd like to give me a good pinch or bite here and there but will also like a good skritch. Nice to have an amazon that's not out to kill me and will sing "Good morning to youuuuuuu" when I sing it to her in the mornings. :D