• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stunted or Petite?

DYHWilson

Checking out the neighborhood
I have an import DYH Amazon baby around 12-13 weeks old. Name is Wilson (W). W is an hanfed incubator baby from day one. I do not know her sex. I have W about 3 weeks. When W came to me her weight is 320 g, 30-32 cm long and eat some pellets and 20 cc formula twice a day. W was already fledged and can fly when she came to me.
Now W is 335 g also and she eats half cup fruit and vegetable and some cooked beans and cooked whole grain pasta and wallnuts and some pellets. Also consume 10 cc formula at afternoon and 20 cc formula before sleep. Sometimes she do not want afternoon formula. Now W is fully flighted and love to fly and start to say her name. W is playful, eating, poooing, flying and sleeping well. Everything seems normal.
But her weight is under average weights of DYH Amazons that written on forums and websites or articles. I do not know her peak weight before fledging and start to fly. I am worrying about this weight issue. Is W is underweight (stunted) or petite? Is W grow and gain weight more or stay at this weight and long?

81B8DDEE-9D84-49D2-8524-5654750A21DD.jpeg 1BAC887D-C519-41FF-9E93-9BF3E63FF6AB.jpeg AE2DD053-8F72-4AE4-BC84-6467BA4ED4C2.jpeg 83BC9EAD-9AAB-489D-9479-9E7FF9EA5D3D.jpeg 5E331878-789F-4718-9492-9B4B5836D5B0.jpeg

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
She is a beautiful zon! Looks pretty perfect to me!!!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Gorgeous!

Remember, each bird is an individual.

My amazons are far from fat (don't know what article I read that mentioned fat amazons) and I consider Secret underweight. The vet isn't freaking out so I figure Secret's weight is Secret's normal.

Just make sure to weigh and keep a journal of the weights.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
You are in the best stage of this birds life. Food wise, you can try it all. Cooked mashes, chops and bird breads. Behavior and being a good bird with People.

Best of luck, we are here to help!

DYHWilson

Thanks for replies. She start to refuse afternoon formula and she sometimes cut half of evening formula. My concern is she will lose weight when she weans. She is at 335 g till 2 weeks same weight. Is this normal or she had to gain weight those 2 weeks? Or will she gain more weight and grow upcoming weeks?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Check with your vet.

Wilson's weight will always fluctuate a bit (at least mine seen to go up and down a tad bit) but the vet can tell you when or if you need to be concerned.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is probably fine. Amazon’s are at their skinniest right before or after weaning. If she was sold unweaned that might also contribute to low weight. Her feathers look good, she’s not riddled with stress bars that would indicate serious lack of nutrition. Also, if she has been sexed female for sure, she may stay a little under the average just because girls are smaller. She may well gain back another 50-75 grams in the next couple of years.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She appears to be a beautiful healthy bird. Congratulations!

DYHWilson

Hi again. Thanks for replies and compliments. I had asked same questions on other avian forums. In one forum they said that it is not a DYH Amazon. Via the photos of Wilson they said she must be yellow crowned or panama. Wilson not have a CITES so I contacted seller and we request CITES and photos of parents from breeder. Now i feel really suspicious on Wilson species. What is your opinion about Wilson species via her photos?

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
She does look like a Double Yellow Headed baby to me. Reason being the patch of yellow is in my opinion already too big to be a Yellow Crowned. Plus Yellow Crowned are big birds. Her yellow patch is at the moment roughly the same as a Panama (although it extends a little further back), but she has grey feet (Panama feet are mostly pink) and no bluish sheen behind the patch. Chico in my signature is a Panama. I think you will find the yellow on her head gets more extensive as she grows older with each moult.

Just copied this pic off Google. These are apparently DYH Amazon babies:

Another pic of a DYH baby:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
She is beautiful! I did question Wilson being a double yellow head. I was thinking she is a yellow crowned. Here's a photo of my Lola when she was about the same age as yours and another mature photo to show you the progression of yellow on her head.

dblyhport.jpg

P9020046.jpg

Lolaportc.jpg

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Could be a cross too...Really does not matter too much now...

I am a bit down on incubator raised chicks as they can become stunted...imho but she does not looks stunted maybe just small...Looks well conditioned & healthy to me...

Beautiful baby...

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Could be a cross too...Really does not matter too much now...

I am a bit down on incubator raised chicks as they can become stunted...imho but she does not looks stunted maybe just small...Looks well conditioned & healthy to me...

Beautiful baby...
They should only become stunted due to poor husbandry. I have other problems with incubator hatching birds, though.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She looks like a double yellow to me. You'll have to see how she matures. It could be she's a cross between double yellow and some other yellow headed species, but I doubt it. There are breeders out there that can't tell the difference or don't care. They figure close enough is good enough and if both birds have yellow on their head, they call it a good breeding. She just looks like a fairly typical double yellow chick to me. They vary quite a bit in their first year and even at maturity regarding the amount of yellow on their face.