• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Stunted growth??

Savykinz1

Moving in
Real Name
Ravyn Smith
Hello guys! My names Ravyn and I have a couple of quick questions. I have been raising a baby cockatiel since it was born but I’m concerned he/she isn’t growing properly. The baby will be 3 weeks old on Wednesday but looks so small for his/hers age. I’m doing everything right with his/hers feeding and such and I started giving him/her a little bit of coconut water today because he/she looks maybe a bit dehydrated. I’m just don’t want him/her to end up dying like the other one did. Anything will help. Momma and dad killed all their other babies except the two but the one little one passed away last week. Thank you in advance!!!!

Attachments

Savykinz1

Moving in
Real Name
Ravyn Smith
Hello guys! My names Ravyn and I have a couple of quick questions. I have been raising a baby cockatiel since it was born but I’m concerned he/she isn’t growing properly. The baby will be 3 weeks old on Wednesday but looks so small for his/hers age. I’m doing everything right with his/hers feeding and such and I started giving him/her a little bit of coconut water today because he/she looks maybe a bit dehydrated. I’m just don’t want him/her to end up dying like the other one did. Anything will help. Momma and dad killed all their other babies except the two but the one little one passed away last week. Thank you in advance!!!!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That is quite sad.

What food are you feeding the little one?
Are you preparing it to the correct ratio? And feeding at the correct temperature?
Is the baby kept in a brooder? What temp?

I don't think you should give coconut water.

Savykinz1

Moving in
Real Name
Ravyn Smith
He is eating exact kaytee formula and for right now I just give him enough till his crop feels full, I’m waiting for my scale to get here to measure him so I can give him 10% of his body weight. And his food is always 105 degrees as I read that’s what it should be. He is kept in a sorta brooder thing, I have a cat so his box is a cat carrier with a heating pad. the temp in it is 92 degrees. And why not on the coconut water? Does he look okay and not dehydrated? I’m so worried I’m doing everything wrong

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am very sorry for the loss of your babies @Staff

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm very sorry for your loss too :sorrow:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
He is eating exact kaytee formula and for right now I just give him enough till his crop feels full, I’m waiting for my scale to get here to measure him so I can give him 10% of his body weight. And his food is always 105 degrees as I read that’s what it should be. He is kept in a sorta brooder thing, I have a cat so his box is a cat carrier with a heating pad. the temp in it is 92 degrees. And why not on the coconut water? Does he look okay and not dehydrated? I’m so worried I’m doing everything wrong
As long as you are mixing the formula according to the directions on the package your baby is getting all the fluids it needs. No need for the coconut water. Your formula should be like the consistency of applesauce. Everything else sounds good. Make sure the heating pad is only under one half of the box so he can move away from the heat source if he gets hot. You might put a couple of small toys inside with him to keep him company and warm.