• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stunted baby (Sad update #52)

Mococlark

Meeting neighbors
91DD5497-E4B2-415F-B627-40593C2D9BF7.jpeg Hello all, I’m new here. Please be kind to me...I’m hand feeding a baby cockatiel for the first time (I’ve done this with other birds) and for the first time ever since hatching (parents attacked it instantly).

I’m trying my best & haven’t done everything correctly, but I correct my mistakes as I learn what they are.
I will never let these birds breed again.

Anyway, Moco was pulled on day 1. One of two eggs, only one hatched. First time parents. Set up in a brooder at 94 degrees, around 70% humidity (the humidity has fluctuated). It’s a small tank with an under tank heater and heat light, probe thermometer & hygrometer.
Fed him according to the charts online, every hour at first round the clock, then two, the three for a few days. every single day he changed. Bigger, stronger.

I WISH I had been keeping track of his weight. This mistake has been corrected but hopefully not too late.

He was looking so strong & robust I had no idea he was so small.

So now Moco’s 14 days old today. Today I weighed him for the first time in the morning before feeding. He is 9.07g. Ive been filling his crop until it was what I thought was full...now I need help.

I realize that now that I know his weight I can feed him correctly.

Again, pls be kind, I’ve volunteered at wildlife sanctuaries & taken care of very small babies...I think that gave me a false sense of confidence.

Moco still looks very strong, he is alert as can be & if I didn’t have the internet I’d think he was doing fantastic. I think he does look like the pics of stunted babies, but not as bad as some. He’s just a week behind from what I can tell. Anyway, you guys know better than I.

How often would you start feeding this guy? I had him in light 24/7, today I have him in the dark. I bumped feedings back to every 2 hours a few days ago, & I let his crop empty from 12-6am at night. I want to believe he was tiny from the start, so it’s not my fault...but that doesn’t really matter. Help me save my little baby! Thank you, sorry so long.

Hope I’ve posted this in the correct area, sorry if I didn’t.

Mococlark

Meeting neighbors
This is what I think looks like a full crop. Does it to you? Forgive the pic, Moco was dancing around like a maniac 33BAF390-B046-47C7-90F4-770B4506ADC0.jpeg

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello and welcome. I have no suggestions but I’m sure someone will be by soon to help.

@Zara has raised lovebirds and may know what to do with a tiel. I do not know how to tag someone but sure there will be help coming soon...alll the best!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue :)

Wow, 9g, he sure is little.
Have you read through the Cockatiel cottage site? Jam packed of info for little Tiels, here is their weigh gain guide: link
Have a read through this page too: Breeding Cockatiels, candled eggs, assisted hatches, how to make a brooder, how to handfeed baby birds, baby bird feeding schedule, baby bird weight gain chart, weaning baby birds, how to wean baby birds.

Be careful when feeding, the food must go down into the crop and not be going up his neck.

As for stunted growth, my youngest lovebird was stunted. She grew ever so slowly and at one point was 2 weeks being in her development. I fed her from day 5, she took 3 times as long as the average bird to wean, but is now healthy.

I had him in light 24/7, today I have him in the dark.
What do you mean by this?

@Monica @Tiel Feathers

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I forgot to add, it is a good idea to inform your vet of the situation

Mococlark

Meeting neighbors
Welcome to the Avenue :)

Wow, 9g, he sure is little.
Have you read through the Cockatiel cottage site? Jam packed of info for little Tiels, here is their weigh gain guide: link
Have a read through this page too: Breeding Cockatiels, candled eggs, assisted hatches, how to make a brooder, how to handfeed baby birds, baby bird feeding schedule, baby bird weight gain chart, weaning baby birds, how to wean baby birds.

Be careful when feeding, the food must go down into the crop and not be going up his neck.

As for stunted growth, my youngest lovebird was stunted. She grew ever so slowly and at one point was 2 weeks being in her development. I fed her from day 5, she took 3 times as long as the average bird to wean, but is now healthy.

What do you mean by this?

@Monica @Tiel Feathers
Sorry, that wasn’t too clear. I was using a heat lamp that was on 24/7. I covered the brooder with cardboard, but it was always fairly light in there. This morning I read that they are supposed to be in the dark, so I took away the light & covered it with a black towel. Now I’m making sure temps are still good, but so far they’re about the same. Black towels must hold heat. Who knew ‍

Mococlark

Meeting neighbors
I forgot to add, it is a good idea to inform your vet of the situation
Also thank you for the hope, it’s so good to hear that your small baby made it fine! I love this little guy, I’ll feed em as long as it takes. I’m obviously worried but Moco acts very healthy...keep fingers crossed for us! And I took that pic immediately after feeding, I don’t think he’d swallowed that last bit yet so I think that’s why it’s in his neck...but I’ll watch out for sure, thank you!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It sounds like you are on the right track now!

Do make sure that the formula is the right temperature, is at the right consistency for his or her growth stage and you are feeding about 10% or so of his/her body weight.

Please make sure you are weighing in grams, not ounces. If he weighs exactly 9 grams before feeding, then he should weigh no more than 10 grams after feeding.

Mococlark

Meeting neighbors
It sounds like you are on the right track now!

Do make sure that the formula is the right temperature, is at the right consistency for his or her growth stage and you are feeding about 10% or so of his/her body weight.

Please make sure you are weighing in grams, not ounces. If he weighs exactly 9 grams before feeding, then he should weigh no more than 10 grams after feeding.
Thank you! Good to know about g vs oz, and no more than 10 grams. I’m sure this is all very simple but I find simple math confusing. Very helpful!

...do you think he has a chance? Could he suddenly gain a ton of weight and be back on track?

Also, I was letting his crop empty completely before every feeding for the first week & a half. I’ve switched that to topping him off during the day so it never empties, & then letting it empty overnight (from 12-6am). Think this is good?

Thank you guys so much, this is awesome having people who’ve done this before on board.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
He may always be stunted for life, but as long as he's healthy, that's fine! I doubt he's likely to "catch up" to where he's supposed to be, but again, as long as healthy, shouldn't be an issue.

Ideally, you want to feed about 10-12% of their body weight at each feeding. 10% of 9 grams is .9 grams... or a total weight of 9.9 grams... aka about 10 grams once you are done feeding. At 20 grams in weight, he/she should weigh about 22 grams after feeding. At 50 grams, that'll be 55 grams.

As for feeding, yes the new schedule you have is fine! You really only need to let it empty, at most, once a day!

Mococlark

Meeting neighbors
He may always be stunted for life, but as long as he's healthy, that's fine! I doubt he's likely to "catch up" to where he's supposed to be, but again, as long as healthy, shouldn't be an issue.

Ideally, you want to feed about 10-12% of their body weight at each feeding. 10% of 9 grams is .9 grams... or a total weight of 9.9 grams... aka about 10 grams once you are done feeding. At 20 grams in weight, he/she should weigh about 22 grams after feeding. At 50 grams, that'll be 55 grams.

As for feeding, yes the new schedule you have is fine! You really only need to let it empty, at most, once a day!
Beautiful, thank you so much!
Do you think letting him go from 12-6 is too long at night? His crop seems to empty somewhere between 2-3 hours.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Considering growth stage, you could potentially add in one more feeding around 3am and in a few days remove it. Try to figure out what works best for this little one.

Here's one page you may find some beneficial information in.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Could he suddenly gain a ton of weight and be back on track?
It doesn´t really work like that. It´s more of a, they will get to the finish line, just at a slower pace rather than catch up before the finish line.
My little bird grew steadily, never catching up until she was fully grown. Her flight skills were also delayed, although I´m not sure if that was down to the late weaning or the slow growth. She is the bird in my picture here to the left :cloud9:
I´m glad my story brings you some comfort. It is good that you saw there is a problem and are monitoring appropriately and seeking advice :)
I will be rooting for your little one :hug9:

Mococlark

Meeting neighbors
Considering growth stage, you could potentially add in one more feeding around 3am and in a few days remove it. Try to figure out what works best for this little one.

Here's one page you may find some beneficial information in.

Thank you for that page! It does say that since he has fluff, he should be kept at 85 degrees. That’s not too cold?
Thank you times a million, sorry for all these questions!

Mococlark

Meeting neighbors
It doesn´t really work like that. It´s more of a, they will get to the finish line, just at a slower pace rather than catch up before the finish line.
My little bird grew steadily, never catching up until she was fully grown. Her flight skills were also delayed, although I´m not sure if that was down to the late weaning or the slow growth. She is the bird in my picture here to the left :cloud9:
I´m glad my story brings you some comfort. It is good that you saw there is a problem and are monitoring appropriately and seeking advice :)
I will be rooting for your little one :hug9:
Thank you so much, I was a little nervous because some people can get a bit...unfriendly...with their advice. And I’m super sensitive about this because I care so much about this guy! But you guys are so helpful & friendly, thank you.
That’s wonderful about your bird! A lot of stories online about stunted babies end sadly. I have hope because little Moco has spunk, and because of your birdie success. Thank you again!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Thank you for that page! It does say that since he has fluff, he should be kept at 85 degrees. That’s not too cold?
Thank you times a million, sorry for all these questions!
And it also says this!

WATCH your baby

• Shivering = too cold
  • Panting = too hot
  • Adjust accordingly!

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Rooting for your baby! Would love to see pictures as he grows if its not intrusive to him.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well, seems you are doing pretty good & am on track. Weighing in grams & Monica gave great info on food portion in relation to body weight.
I think alot of chicks hatched by brooder can have a slow start even in professional hands so you are doing great. They can catch up or not but have to do whats right for them & so what if they are a bit smaller as long as they are healthy.

Feeding from day one is not the easiest thing to do but you have provided the heat & humidity which is great.

6 hours between feedings is probably too long between feedings for s small young chick as it could slow down the metabolism & you don;t want that. Its like having a baby & setting an alarm to get up & give them a 4AM feeding...

Good Luck & hope all goes well...